Need some advice on Phosphate dosing (nitrates stay high)

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit lengthy, but I truly appreciate your help.

I've consistently had zero phosphates in my tank since I started, leading to a dinoflagellate issue. To address this, I bought a Hanna checker and began daily testing and dosing. The dinos disappeared after about two weeks. However, I aimed to raise my phosphates to around 0.1.

For approximately three weeks, I tested daily and dosed my phosphates (1ML equals 0.02 Phosphates) until they reached 0.1. Some days, it dropped to 0.02, and on others, it stayed at 0.07. After averaging the three weeks, I realized I was dosing 3ml daily. I continued dosing 3ml daily and tested every three days for assurance. After a week, I switched to weekly testing. After one week, my phosphates had risen to 0.16. I didn't dose, and the following day it was at 0.09. So, my 3ml daily dose is once again incorrect. What can I do to establish a reliable and stable daily dose? Each test costs about 1.25 euros, making daily testing costly and preventing me from using a doser.

Regarding my nitrates, they've consistently been high, although not at dangerous levels (according to the Salifert test kit), always ranging from 25-50. My nitrates remain relatively constant and do not fluctuate. A few weeks ago, I stopped cleaning my sand due to a substantial population of Nassarius snails. Even though this change didn't impact my nitrates, should I resume sifting the sand before every water change? I have sufficient live rock in pounds (LBS), but should I reintroduce the bag of bioballs that came with the tank to lower nitrates? I plan to add more corals, and I'm aware that some are sensitive to higher nitrates. Interestingly, when I began dosing phosphates, I was warned that it might lower my nitrates, but they have remained consistent both before and after dosing.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going through a similar situation. I'm actually dosing phosphates and vinegar and running Purigen and my nitrates stay over 75. I run my phosphates around 0.15 to 0.2. When I started dosing, I got my phosphates up to around 0.4, waited 4 days and tested again. Divide by 4 and you get your average daily dose needed. Give that a week or two and test again and make sure you're within the range you're hoping for.

I test every couple of weeks now. As long as I'm above 0.10 I'm happy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit lengthy, but I truly appreciate your help.

I've consistently had zero phosphates in my tank since I started, leading to a dinoflagellate issue. To address this, I bought a Hanna checker and began daily testing and dosing. The dinos disappeared after about two weeks. However, I aimed to raise my phosphates to around 0.1.

For approximately three weeks, I tested daily and dosed my phosphates (1ML equals 0.02 Phosphates) until they reached 0.1. Some days, it dropped to 0.02, and on others, it stayed at 0.07. After averaging the three weeks, I realized I was dosing 3ml daily. I continued dosing 3ml daily and tested every three days for assurance. After a week, I switched to weekly testing. After one week, my phosphates had risen to 0.16. I didn't dose, and the following day it was at 0.09. So, my 3ml daily dose is once again incorrect. What can I do to establish a reliable and stable daily dose? Each test costs about 1.25 euros, making daily testing costly and preventing me from using a doser.

Regarding my nitrates, they've consistently been high, although not at dangerous levels (according to the Salifert test kit), always ranging from 25-50. My nitrates remain relatively constant and do not fluctuate. A few weeks ago, I stopped cleaning my sand due to a substantial population of Nassarius snails. Even though this change didn't impact my nitrates, should I resume sifting the sand before every water change? I have sufficient live rock in pounds (LBS), but should I reintroduce the bag of bioballs that came with the tank to lower nitrates? I plan to add more corals, and I'm aware that some are sensitive to higher nitrates. Interestingly, when I began dosing phosphates, I was warned that it might lower my nitrates, but they have remained consistent both before and after dosing.

I'd dose 2.5 mL per day and test once a week. An exact specific value is not necessary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back