Need tip or tricks for keeping Harlequin Shrimp.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been infested with asterina stars. I have been looking for a Harlequin Shrimp with no luck. Someone posted that one could freeze asterina stars to make sure you always have a supply to feed when I find one. Would anyone give me a few hints on how to keep a Harlequin without having to feed it pieces of live starfish once it goes through the ones in my tank? Also, has anyone seen one for sale on line? I would so appreciate help.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that and will return to fish store if can't keep a good supply, I was hoping some one had a few suggestions taken from experience,. Thanks

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look around if you can get your hands on frozen starfish somewhere. Not sure about the US but on the other side of the pond theres a company that sells that, specifically for harlequins.

I had short term success with getting mine to eat frozen wild salmon. But i gave the shrimp to the next guy with an asterina problem before i could with any confidence at all say that it wouldn't be malnourished longterm on that diet.

Iirc, some company in the states that breeds them feeds them a mix of stuff that also partly contains starfish.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run out of the original supply of asterina, though the population has significantly dropped since adding my harlequin. Saltyunderground frequently has batches of 30 available to purchase as feed if needed though. As far as harlequins themselves go, reefcleaners has them sometimes, salty has them sometimes, algaebarn even occassionally offers them. I was lucky and was able to get mine locally.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,can keep some asterina in sump to populate ,as clears tank
also keep chocolate chip in sump ,use pieces to feed..

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run out of the original supply of asterina, though the population has significantly dropped since adding my harlequin. Saltyunderground frequently has batches of 30 available to purchase as feed if needed though. As far as harlequins themselves go, reefcleaners has them sometimes, salty has them sometimes, algaebarn even occassionally offers them. I was lucky and was able to get mine locally.
Thanks for the information.

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them at my lfs. I was under the impression they only ate live starfish though. Interesting that some owners have had success with feeding out frozen.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $50. for one harlequin shrimp.
The shrimp was extremely tiny and I was afraid to loose it in my big tank. It is the one infested with the stars.
So I put the shrimp in my 20 G, where the only inhabitants are a starry blenny, a hermit crab and 2 bumble bee snails.
I feed my shrimp by fishing the star in the big tank and dropping them in the small tank.
I give it about 3 stars per day. I have that shrimp for over a month now, and it is doing well. Not so tiny anymore.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $50. for one harlequin shrimp.
The shrimp was extremely tiny and I was afraid to loose it in my big tank. It is the one infested with the stars.
So I put the shrimp in my 20 G, where the only inhabitants are a starry blenny, a hermit crab and 2 bumble bee snails.
I feed my shrimp by fishing the star in the big tank and dropping them in the small tank.
I give it about 3 stars per day. I have that shrimp for over a month now, and it is doing well. Not so tiny anymore.
I'd dump in stars until there are so many it doesn't eat them all

You can tell the shrimp isn't hungry if it hides in a cave or dark spot and doesn't come out until a couple days later when it is hungry again

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but, a method that works for some of my customers is buying a cheap but big sea star and freezing it.

It’s as close to human euthanasia as you can get. They then chunk it up into pieces and defrost like frozen food as needed.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an opportunity for a socal reefer to make some $$ selling starfish collected from tide pools.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a cheap like 10G tank populate it with asterina stars use a cheap HOB filter for it use it to feed your shrimp.

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also heard of harlequin owners having “arm farms”. It’s on the morbid side so if you are weak stomached stop reading now.

Buy several starfish and rotate through them. Remove an arm. Feed. Move to another star, remove an arm, feed, and so on allowing the previous starfish to regrow their arms, resting and healing. Some harlequins will eat the entire starfish, some will eat just the arms, while others will only eat the feet. I have not owned one personally, but I have chatted with a couple of reefers who have owned various ones and it’s definitely a unique experience. Good luck and have fun! Sounds like what your doing is working :)

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a cheap like 10G tank populate it with asterina stars use a cheap HOB filter for it use it to feed your shrimp.
That won't be nearly enough in the long term. Can't breed more asterinas than the shrimp will eat in a tank of that order of magnitude. Will easily devour 15+ per day and still be hungry if it's not a tiny one.

Think about it, people use them to clear big tanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back