Neptune Apex newb question

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t own one, some what considered buying one for future tank project. I had a few questions maybe someone could simplify for me:

#1) I have read the salinity probe is sometime not accurate. How do the other probes fair? Temperature, PH and ORP? Are these readings accurate?

#2) I read the apex can monitor power of devices (watts, etc) to see if a device fails (?). Is this true?
Does the device have to be “apex compatible”?

I am not looking for lighting or wave maker control (to expensive), maybe dosing control (maybe, again, can be done separately for half the price). I would be very interested if it could tell me that my main return pump failed. Or if a heater or other equipment lost power.

But is this done by the energy bar of the apex only? Or do the devices need to be strictly apex compatible (or will it tell me if ANY device plugged in loses power)? Hope I am making sense. Thank you.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t own one, some what considered buying one for future tank project. I had a few questions maybe someone could simplify for me:

#1) I have read the salinity probe is sometime not accurate. How do the other probes fair? Temperature, PH and ORP? Are these readings accurate?

#2) I read the apex can monitor power of devices (watts, etc) to see if a device fails (?). Is this true?
Does the device have to be “apex compatible”?

I am not looking for lighting or wave maker control (to expensive), maybe dosing control (maybe, again, can be done separately for half the price). I would be very interested if it could tell me that my main return pump failed. Or if a heater or other equipment lost power.

But is this done by the energy bar of the apex only? Or do the devices need to be strictly apex compatible (or will it tell me if ANY device plugged in loses power)? Hope I am making sense. Thank you.
The conductivity probe is fairly accurate, but should not be used to control anything. Only monitoring and alerts. Though you could program a failsafe for your ATO should it get stuck on and begin to drop the salinity. Temp and ph are accurate. Orp is pretty pointless.

The Apex will monitor the 8 outlets and log their usage. You can program the Apex to alert you if one of the outlets no longer detects power consumption. You would use a delay statement or an ignore during feed mode statement to prevent an alarm every time you turn a piece of equipment off. Like your return pump when feeding.

Using a light that is compatible with the Apex is not necessary, but whatever light you choose I would want it to be programmable. You can use an outlet for basic on/off. For example supplementing an LED with T5s during the photo period. Buying an LED light without programability is problematic as you will be stuck with the highest intensity during the entire time it is on. Baking your reef at full intensity all day is likely going to create problems.

I would highly recommend having your wave makers Apex compatible. This gives you the ability to program profiles to mix up the flow throughout the day and program specific flow patterns or no flow for different types of feeding. Not essential, but you wouldn't be getting your moneys worth if you have to hit feed buttons on different devices.

In terms of what Apex compatible means, some light and pump products will be recognized by the Apex and open up more options. However, lights are pretty much set it and forget it so there's not a lot of added benefit for the extra expense. Same goes for return pumps and skimmer pumps. These can be controlled with an outlet and do not need to talk to the Apex. Wave makers, like I said, you want the 0-10v Apex controllability.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of the probes, they are all what I would consider accurate enough for the hobbiest, but they are by no means scientific.

For the outlets, it shows you basic power consumption for literally anything you plug in. Anything from aquarium equipment to your home computer if you really wanted. It is up to you to determine how the APEX interprets the data. In most cases, if you see that the device stops drawing power, you can deduce there might be an issue with whatever is plugged in.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above reefers have covered pretty much everything, the probes do a good enough job to let me know it anything is wrong. Unless you plan on using ozone the ORP probe is kinda pointless. I do like having the heartbeat on the Apex unit active. It lets you know if the Apex is communicating with the WiFi network and also lets you know it you loose power as it will loose connection.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the outlets, it shows you basic power consumption for literally anything you plug in. Anything from aquarium equipment to your home computer if you really wanted. It is up to you to determine how the APEX interprets the data. In most cases, if you see that the device stops drawing power, you can deduce there might be an issue with whatever is plugged in.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ccombs explained, this is what it shows.

3C6A8A9B-3703-46C8-AEC5-67667E007B34.png

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. So you can assign each outlet with a name yourself. Hence any device able to be plugged in and monitored (not necessary controlled)?
Yes, you can change any name to your liking, my MP pumps and Radions run thru the WXM module, so they did recognize them, but I labeled them so I could easily recognize them.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think of the APEX as an aquarium controller. Just think of it as a device that can read data (probes, power monitoring, etc.) and you can write basic programming language to interpret that data and send it to 'APEX Compatible Devices' via their 0-10v protocol or their wireless modules.

I hope that cleared things up and did not make it more complicated.

There are wizards in the APEX that make it simple to set up aquarium related tasks, but if you get creative with the actual coding, you can figure out ways to do more advanced tasks to a certain degree.

For me, the APEX opened up a whole new world of creativity and exploration.

Oh, and if you look next to the watts and amps on @Billldg 's picture, you will see a $ column. This allows you to put in your kWh costs from your electricity company, and you can see how much money your aquarium costs and even break it down per device.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the neptune wave makers good for that price point? Was thinking of adding 1 or 2 to replace our current ones. We have a 6 ft long 180. Really a FOWLR but we do have a Duncan and may add 1 or 2 other beginner types of coral.

I'd probably keep our two RN-1 nanos and put them on the back wall for cross flow. The neptunes would replace our QP-16.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised against them due to longevity issues. Most folks I asked said you would get 2 years out of them. I have been very happy with my Vortech MP40's (I own a couple that are over 5 years old) and recently I added a Tunze 6095 that is dead silent and moves a ton of water. Going to add another 6095 soon. Both can be controlled by the Apex as well with an additional module specific to the manufacturer. WXM for Ecotech. VDM for Tunze. Hope this helps.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saved money on pumps due to the apex. Instead of expensive wave making pumps, I have basic tunzes controlled by the apex to mimic tidal flow. with simple on/off programing. Not the most sophisticated pattern and you can do this with outlet timers.

I also like the feed feature. with a single command all my pumps turn off so I can feed or do a water change. I even have the DT pumps turn on before the sumps so that the remaining food circulates a little bit for the corals.

I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on the new apex, so I picked up a used classic here for a fraction of the cost. While the new features are cool, the classic fits my needs and I have no near term plans to upgrade.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised against them due to longevity issues. Most folks I asked said you would get 2 years out of them. I have been very happy with my Vortech MP40's (I own a couple that are over 5 years old) and recently I added a Tunze 6095 that is dead silent and moves a ton of water. Going to add another 6095 soon. Both can be controlled by the Apex as well with an additional module specific to the manufacturer. WXM for Ecotech. VDM for Tunze. Hope this helps.

2 years is about how long before I'd be ready to commit to MP40s lol. The pumps see have now were free or bought used so they arent likely to last any longer than new neptune ones I would think.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am still on the fence for the investment on the Apex. It’s a big $$ add on. I do like the monitoring capabilities. I don’t need it for the control per say. But turning multiple devices off with ease is appealing as well.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am still on the fence for the investment on the Apex. It’s a big $$ add on. I do like the monitoring capabilities. I don’t need it for the control per say. But turning multiple devices off with ease is appealing as well.

I traded helping tear down a big tank at an office for mine lol. Just have to order the probes.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back