Neptune COR-20 First Impressions

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a COR-20 from Bulk Reef Supply last Saturday. I've had it hooked up and running for a few days, so I thought I'd post my first impressions.

It replaced a Reef Octopus Varios 6. Actually replaced isn't the right word - I wanted to get a backup pump and would have purchased another various, but the COR was coming out, so I figured I would give it a try.

It arrived from BRS nicely packaged. It includes fittings, an Allen Wrench to remove the volute and the power supply & control box. As I was taking mine apart, I did notice a small amount of water. Apparently Neptune has wet-tested all of the pumps from this first batch. Kudos to them for this- Not many pump companies do this. It does not include a strainer to cover the input like the Varios does.

Physical installation is like most pumps. It comes with a 1¼" threaded-slip union that screws on the top as well as some adapters to reduce the output to 1" or ¾" if needed. I already had a union above my varios6, so I got a section of 1 ¼"PVC and another matching union to put at the top; now I can easily swap the COR out for the Varios 6 just by unscrewing the union.

The control box for the COR mounts like other Neptune modules - there's a rear mounting plate that you screw down and then the box slides onto the plate.

If you're installing it with an Apex, Fusion now has a COR task that steps you through the setup process. It was about as painless as one could hope for- You plug in the power, connect the aquabus cable, then run the COR task. First it has you set the minimum speed, then the maximum speed using the two buttons on the control box. At that point, you're basically done. (note that the COR 15 uses 1link, the COR 20 does not)

When setting the min/max speeds, the buttons appear to step the power up & down in 5% increments. This is finer control than most DC pumps give you without using the 0-10V input, but it was still too coarse for my purposes (I had my Varios programmed so it would throttle down to the point where the pump speed was exactly balanced by the downward water pressure, meaning no water flowed forward or backwards at this speed.) You can go into the COR20 outlet settings in fusion and change the speed in 1% increments, similar to any other 0-10v controllable pump. Once you have set the minimum and maximum speeds, Apex will scale the display percentages accordingly. 1% is the minimum speed, not 1% of the total pump speed/power. Likewise, 100% on the display is the maximum speed you determined at setup, not the maximum speed the pump is capable of. This could be potentially confusing, but overall, I like it.

As a pump, it pumps water. Not much more I can say about it. Someone told me that the COR20 is basically like a 'Varios 7' and I would agree with that. I had my Varios 6 running at 100% and the COR20 puts out the same amount of flow at 70%. As far as power goes, the power consumption at comparable flows is virtually identical, so the GPH/Watt would appear to be similar.

The COR 20 initially seemed to be a touch louder than my Varios 6, emitting a soft hum/whine, but that was because I had it running at 100% initially. When I dialed it back to a comparable flow, it was just as quiet as the Varios 6 (I used a dB app on my iPhone to check the noise levels and they were both 48dB measured immediately above the water line. Realistically, I can't hear either one with the sump doors closed. It's as quiet or quieter than any other pump I've used.

There are 2 tiles that are added to your Fusion dashboard with the COR pump. One is a COR outlet, the other shows you the watts, RPMs and pump temp. The watts displayed is actually the watts used by the pump itself, not the power supply or control box. When I measured the total watts as measured by the EB832, it's about 7 watts higher than the pump display. Right now the total consumption is 67W, with 60W at the pump, so it's basically like having a 60W heater in my sump.

The setup adds a line to your error outlet, "If Error COR_20 Then ON." I haven't had occasion to check this yet. According to the manual it has 5 different alarms: Run Dry, Over and Under Voltage for the DC power supply, over current (can be used to detect a blockage) and Temperature

I haven't had a chance to play with it much, but the programming for the pump appears to be much easier and more straight forward than the standard programming has been. Previously, you had to define profiles and assign them to the pump if you wanted to adjust the speed, for the COR you can simply say "If FeedA then 50" to set it to 50% Likewise, it seems you can use the COR speed in your other programming with statements like "If Output COR_20 Percent < 50 Then..."

I would note that while the COR 20 can be used in standalone mode, it has no 0-10V input, so you won't be able to control it with a non-apex controller, beyond on/off.

Overall, I'm happy with the pump. It works well (well, for 4 days, at least!) is quiet, and was easy to install. I haven't had occasion to do much with the apex programming yet, but the programming seems to be more intuitive than a standard DC pump. Reliability is yet to be determined. The beta testers gave good reports, but I wouldn't necessarily expect to hear any bad reports from them if there were issues. Still, they did a fair amount of beta testing, which is always a good thing.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oblique view.jpg
Side View.jpg

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some side by side comparisons with the Varios 6. It's slightly bigger, but not much. Neptunes published dimensions are 4¾" high, 3⅞" wide and 6½" deep (120 x 98 x 165mm) I did notice that the impeller spins the opposite direction as the Varios. Perhaps @Terence is Left handed? ;Joyful The volute is held on by 4 screws. (Titanium, I assume) I didn't think to check to see if you can rotate the volute. I assume you can, but can't say for sure.

Front Views.jpg
Rear oblique views.jpg

Top Views.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

I'm in the market for a new return pump and as a apex user I am considering this as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thanks for sharing. I haven't done much research on this pump yet, but I imagine it can be ramped up and down automatically? I'm currently using a Vectra as a closed loop pump and will consider one of these when/if it fails on me.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recomend pump if not a apex user?
That depends. My first impressions are positive and it seems to be a solid pump. When I compare it to something like a Varios for stand alone use, the Varios has some additional features such as a feed mode and float switch cutoff which are nice. The COR controls in standalone mode are limited to increasing and decreasing the speed, so you don't have as much flexibility. If you were never planning on getting a controller or if you were considering a controller other than an Apex I would recommend a Varios.

If you were considering getting a Apex in the future or needed a bit more flow than a Varios 6 could give you but want to save a bit of money over the Varios 8, then I think the COR20 is a fine option.

Excellent, thanks for sharing. I haven't done much research on this pump yet, but I imagine it can be ramped up and down automatically? I'm currently using a Vectra as a closed loop pump and will consider one of these when/if it fails on me.

Yes - when you open the COR outlet in Fusion, it lets you set speed profiles, similar to how you can do for a wave pump. I have not played around with these at all, so I have no idea how they work, just that they exist. My understanding is that they are intended for closed loop profiles, though.

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up and review.
I just received mine as well, have it all plumbed in but I’m still waiting to fill my tank to crank it up.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the COR20, and ran the VarioS6 before hand. Both are great pumps, I prefer the COR pump for the programming aspect. Plus the fitting on the VarioS pump fit onto the COR perfectly so I didn't have to use my COR fitting!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering out loud ..... how hard it would be to 3D print an impeller housing that is NPT ..... and NOT orange?

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering out loud ..... how hard it would be to 3D print an impeller housing that is NPT ..... and NOT orange?

Yeah - I wish neptune would ditch the orange, too. Contrary to @Terence ’s protestations, Orange is Not the new black. (Well, unless you’re in prison, I guess.) I’d be willing to bet if they offered the Apex in straight grey or black, the orange units would collect a lot of dust! In the end, for me, the controller is hidden under the tank, so the color is not a huge deal for me.

As far as printing a new volute goes, you probably could. The problems I can think of are first that changes in the internal geometry could have non-trivial impacts on the flow, if the interior is not accurately sized, it could cause leaking or issues with the impeller, and that the volute has titanium nuts/threads embedded in it (you could potentially get longer screws or bolts and just have them go all the way through with a bit on the outside)

I tested the COR20, and ran the VarioS6 before hand. Both are great pumps, I prefer the COR pump for the programming aspect. Plus the fitting on the VarioS pump fit onto the COR perfectly so I didn't have to use my COR fitting!

Wish I would’ve thought of that before glueing it up!

Yeah, if you have an Apex, the programming is a definite advantage with the COR. There’s not too much you can’t do with the Varios, but the COR makes it easier. Another advantage is that you don’t have to use profiles and virtual outlets to accomplish things, so the program is much easier to decipher later on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other updates/additions to report-
After a month and a half, I have had no problems with the pump; it continues to pump water reliably. ;)

One advantage the COR pump has over other DC 0-10V controllable pumps is that when used with an Apex controller is that it will continue to function if there is a crash of the Apex head unit/Brain. In this case, the 0-10V output would most likely go to 0, meaning the pump would be shut off. With the COR, the control is handled by the controller box and loss of communication with the Apex puts it to the fallback state which is whatever you have defined as ‘full flow’

Also, the intake & outlet threads are BSPP (see this link for a description of the differences.) Neptune ships a special (custom) union that is 1 ¼” BSPP to 1 ¼” slip union. If you mess up on th plumbing, finding a replacement for this union is pretty much impossible. I have read some reports of people getting the slip insert from a standard 1 ¼” slip union to work, but buyer beware.

In fairness, several other pumps also BSPP threaded fittings, but given the fact that Neptune’s pump has that...err... shall we say ‘vibrant’ orange volute that is custom made for them, and the fact that the pumps are made for sale in the US, there’s no reason they couldn’t have had it molded with NPT compatible threads.

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my COR 20 installed for 2 days. I have to say that while this is my first DC pump I am very impressed with that fact that it is truly a silent pump. I r eplaced the Sicce Syncra 3.0 which was quiet this is on a different level and It is actually silent. The only way I know it is on is the flow of water.

I have mine supplying a Red Sea Reefer 250 with 3/4 “ line. I did change out the stock barb connection with a larger 3/4” barb . I also made a manifold that is feeding a reactor and flowing water back into the sump where I have my DOS supplying my Calcium and ALK to confirm it mixes well. This replaced a small pump I was using for this purpose. With all that I am running it at 30%. So this pump would is future proof if I move up to a larger tank. I have the apex and really like the RPM value listed in fusion. I think I will be able to use this to let me know when I need to clean the pump. I also like the IQ feature which limits the speed of the pump. This is a great safety feature for smaller tanks like mine.

I do thave a question. Do you guys find a sound coming from the control box? I only hear it when When I am in the electrical equipment section of my stand and I don’t think the average person would hear it with a cabinet door closed, but I want to confirm this is just not a problem with my unit.

I chose this pump over the Varios 6 symply because I have the Apex, but either way I feel it is an awesome pump and have no reservations about recommending it for you.

My only suggestion for Neptune is they should extend the warranty on this unit to match the 2 year warranty the Varios 6 has.

Adam2211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a great pump but make sure to take it apart to check the gasket before installing. I just recieved mine hooked it up and it has a small drip coming out of the housing. Customer service is fast to respond but i have to wait for a new gasket. Not very happy about that. For a $350 brand new pump it should be perfect. Expecially if they water test them. I'm gussing they stoped the water testing. So double check.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 134 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back