Neptune PMK - Use as PAR meter instead of monitor?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Got a reasonable offer on hand for a Neptune PMK. To my knowledge, the unit is predominantly made for continuous monitoring of PAR within your reef tank - and not much as a PAR meter that you would take out from time to time to find the right spot for that new coral of yours.

However, any concerns about wanting to do just that? Using the PKM as a PAR meter?

Thanks,

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Got a reasonable offer on hand for a Neptune PMK. To my knowledge, the unit is predominantly made for continuous monitoring of PAR within your reef tank - and not much as a PAR meter that you would take out from time to time to find the right spot for that new coral of yours.

However, any concerns about wanting to do just that? Using the PKM as a PAR meter?

Thanks,
It's probably fine to use it as such but it's slow reporting back. So you may have to set it in the tank and wait for a minute or two before it gives you a reading.

Having said that: I don't own one, this was my finding out thru research before I bought the ITC PARwise.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine strictly as a par meter and never leave it in the tank long term. It does take a little bit to update but if you log into the apex local it isn’t bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably fine to use it as such but it's slow reporting back. So you may have to set it in the tank and wait for a minute or two before it gives you a reading.

Having said that: I don't own one, this was my finding out thru research before I bought the ITC PARwise.
Yeah that was kind of my worry, don't really want anything that doesn't quite work as I want it to. I do want the ASM module for other projects down the line, though - it's hard to find on its own in the UK :)

I own a Seneye- and i have had a PARwise on loan a couple of times, both compelling alternatives when it comes to PAR meters.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine strictly as a par meter and never leave it in the tank long term. It does take a little bit to update but if you login into the apex local it isn’t too bad.
My Apex is hard-wired in using a LAN cable. Truth be told, I've never logged in local before :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was kind of my worry, don't really want anything that doesn't quite work as I want it to. I do want the ASM module for other projects down the line, though - it's hard to find on its own in the UK :)

I own a Seneye- and i have had a PARwise on loan a couple of times, both compelling alternatives when it comes to PAR meters.
I like the parwise cuz it tells me the color rendition and strength of par. For $300, i thought it was a good deal. I loan it out to friends when they need it also.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the parwise cuz it tells me the color rendition and strength of par. For $300, i thought it was a good deal. I loan it out to friends when they need it also.
My LFS in Glasgow loans it out as well, it's a good piece of kit for sure :cool:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex is hard-wired in using a LAN cable. Truth be told, I've never logged in local before :)
The only time I log into it is when using the PMK as a par meter. I tried using it without going through local and fusion takes long enough to update that it is awful, but with local it’s pretty quick.
I keep my ASM connected to my system because I use its I/O port for switches. I just hook the probe up when I want to get a reading, which honestly is almost never.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I log into it is when using the PMK as a par meter. I tried using it without going through local and fusion takes long enough to update that it is awful, but with local it’s pretty quick.
I keep my ASM connected to my system because I use its I/O port for switches. I just hook the probe up when I want to get a reading, which honestly is almost never.
Cool, I'll take that into consideration for sure - and learn how to log in local ;-) Might come in handy when, inevitably something breaks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back