Never had an aquarium before and I now have a saltwater tank.

nanook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hydrometer and was considering a refractometer, but I don't know which one to buy. There are so many of them, will any of them do the job.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the average hobbyist most hydrometers and refractometers are accurate enough. Refractmeters are more accurate when properly calibrated, but there shouldnt be too much of a difference.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a hydrometer just as you did, I switched to BRS refractometer a few years back and its worked great, I now have a digital refractometer (xmas gift) and love it... one thing you will want to do is calibrated and use it under the same source light every time as the reading can display differently under alternative lighting.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a Refractometer for the accuracy. The hydrometers are not accurate and I have seen them be off by 4 or 5 points.

OP
OP
N

nanook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I'm really new to all of this. I've been reading quite a bit and thought I would join a group for more help. I have a Deep blue 57 gallon rimless tank with 25 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand. I setup a wet/dry sump with bio balls and a mini g skimmer. I'm starting out small, only have a couple of yellow tail damsels right now. So any info would be greatly appreciated.

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a red sea hydrometer that I calibrated with a Milwaukee digital refractometer. I check it every once in a while and it's always accurate after the recalibration. On the other have I also have a fluval hydrometer and it's pretty finicky, giving me different back to back readings.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool advise. Can someone elaborate a little more on the refractometer? What do they measure exactly vs the hydrometer?

They both measure the salinity (Specific Gravity) of your water. Refractometer is just a better instrument.

I use a red sea hydrometer that I calibrated with a Milwaukee digital refractometer. I check it every once in a while and it's always accurate after the recalibration. On the other have I also have a fluval hydrometer and it's pretty finicky, giving me different back to back readings.

JMO but why not just use a Refractometer and be done with it. Hydrometers may be ok for a Fish only system but a refractometer on a reef tank is a must for stability.

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just easier and quicker to use. The red sea unit has proven to be reliable time and time again. I also rinse it in ro water after every use.

Back