New 20g Reef

campfireevan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up a new 20g reef tank, let me know what you guys think.

-20 lbsCarib-Sea Bimini Pink Sand
-20lbs Dry Rock
-Fluval C3 HOB (stock filter w/ 156g bag of ChemiPure blue)
-Finnex HOB refugium (MarinePure balls, chaeto, rubble, 7w OxyLED grow light on reverse photo period)
-Cobalt 15w heater
-Hydor 240gph powerhead

*still waiting for tank to cycle before getting a light, if anyone has suggestions for growing softies and LPS please share.

water perimeters (API master test kit)
-salinity is 35ppt (refractometer)
- slight ammonia spike at about .10-.15 ppm after 40hrs, ghost fed yesterday at about 3pm
-Nitrite and Nitrate still at about zero
-pH is at about 8.0
97323eec607937a863064e1ad026adb8.jpg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, may I suggest a bit of a re shuffle of your aquascape.

It might be better to remove and create outside the tank and bond it together in sections, so it doesn't get disturbed when performing maintenance or by larger CUC members.

You seem to have a good selection of rock there already, so I would try to maybe add some height at one end and a couple of caves.

Hope this comes across as constructive.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The over-coverage of your fuge light is going to cause algae to grow in your display tank, I would recommend moving it close to the HOB fuge and chaeto and try to prevent any light from it reaching the inside of your display tank.

OP
OP
campfireevan

campfireevan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, may I suggest a bit of a re shuffle of your aquascape.

It might be better to remove and create outside the tank and bond it together in sections, so it doesn't get disturbed when performing maintenance or by larger CUC members.

You seem to have a good selection of rock there already, so I would try to maybe add some height at one end and a couple of caves.

Hope this comes across as constructive.

Thank you, I will for sure give that a try. Instead of taking all the rock out would you recommend using a putty that can be used underwater?

OP
OP
campfireevan

campfireevan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The over-coverage of your fuge light is going to cause algae to grow in your display tank, I would recommend moving it close to the HOB fuge and chaeto and try to prevent any light from it reaching the inside of your display tank.

I am currently working on purchasing a smaller LED strip that can be wrapped around the HOB refugium since it's all clear plastic. In the mean time, the top of the tank has been covered in tin foil to block light from entering the tank. Thanks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 48 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back