OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also anyone had issues with the Neptune apex ATK? Mine has twice now dumped my 3 gallon reservoir into my tank. Luckily I thought ahead and didn’t use a very big reservoir just for something like this. Any ideal from anyone? Any help is good help I’m a newbie to apex. As in 2 weeks of ever having one.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run the canister when I need the UV. I ran it last year when the tank developed Dinos. Set it on a timer to run at night when the Dino is in the free swimming stage and I used a turkey baster to blow the dino off of everything before the lights turned off and the canister and UV turned on. I had the canister drain into the filter sock that was replaced every day. Worked like a charm because I was Dino free within a month. I'd keep the UV if I had the room under the stand, but there isn't and it was always cumbersome to work under there. I was forbidden from plumbing anything outside of the stand so that was that.
Thought I'd add a picture of how I covered the tank since we have the same one. I covered it after losing a 2nd fish to jumping. I bought the screen material from Amazon and the frame kit from Lowes. Unfortunately with a HOB overflow it's not as clean as a drilled tank with stuff hanging off the back. There is no way to cover the back section with this frame kit so I just used acrylic clear pieces and used nylon nuts and bolts to secure them to the frame.

I changed the lighting to the new Aquaticlife Hybrid fixture after this picture was taken.
lrswClWl.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OABXY9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good the DIY light fixture looks good IMO but I’m sure your enjoying the aquaticlife fixture. How many kessil do you have over that tank? I was gonna get them but heard good and bad. How have they been for you? Yea I’ve been thinking about a screen frame for the top, but current trying to put together a stand-alone cabinet for my apex because I want that no where near salt.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Kessil lights because that's what the lfs had over some of their frag tanks and I loved the way they look and the shimmer. I started with 2 but added another 2 when I started adding more sps to the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back