New 90 gallon

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to say I have my dream coming true. I just set up my 90g reef ready tank and I am going to make it a seahorse tank. I have upgraded from a 37g to this new tank and used all old live rock and cured pukani live rock(did it myself) I am wondering how many seahorses I could do(erects) and how long I should wait for them to be added. The first time I had them I got 10 and added about 6 weeks after fully cycling the tank. They all lived and did very well. Here are some pics of the new tank.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had experience with this type of seahorses and love them. I accidentally had a mishap when setting this tank up and the seahorses died. And most of my corals. A lot of time and money thrown out and I wasn't happy about it. I would like to get them is asap and wondering how many.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most keepers say that each pair should have 30 gallons. I know that folks that are breeding them have more but they are doing big water changes often and lots of maintenance.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool and following!

dogshowgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most keepers say that each pair should have 30 gallons. I know that folks that are breeding them have more but they are doing big water changes often and lots of maintenance.
This is correct. They can be kept at higher density but there will be issues. Maybe not at first but it will happen. Breeders have grow out tanks at much higher density but also don't have ecosystems and they tanks are glorified quarantine. Their broodstock tanks are a balanced systems made for the long haul. Look at photos of their tanks, they are bare bottom with several hitching posts normally artificial inserts or zip ties. They do that to prevent detritus buildup and to make it easy to clean several times a week. Nitrates over 15 cause suppression of thyroid and other receptors in the body of the seahorse and drastically shortened life and makes them more suspectable to diseases. Our tanks already have higher bacteria levels compared to the ocean, you really don't need anything else working against you if you can help it. Lower density allows better management of nitrates.

If you are not going to follow common rules of of density be prepared for more work of the unbalanced ecosystem and to be replacing seahorses more often. The open ocean "flushes out" with the tides and binges in new water unlike our tanks at home. Thus will work against you at high density and low flow. With your current rock work and you plan to have more seahorses than recommended in that tank, I would take a hard look at your aquascaping and your flow. Any dead spots will be an issue. Spray bars and more flow are your friends. It is old thinking that had us having a low flow tank for ponies.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 10 in a 37g and never ran into an issue with them. All lived and we're fine for over a year. Then slowly died off. All levels were fine thru-out the time. I added Sps corals and levels were fine and seahorse so left the Sps alone. I will be adding a few pairs of erectus and we will see how it goes.

dogshowgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 10 in a 37g and never ran into an issue with them. All lived and we're fine for over a year. Then slowly died off. All levels were fine thru-out the time. I added Sps corals and levels were fine and seahorse so left the Sps alone. I will be adding a few pairs of erectus and we will see how it goes.
They live 5-7 years.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I tested my tank last night and it said that it was all ready. No nitrite nitrite or ammonia. This morning I woke up and tested it and it was at 5ppm nitrite(deep purple in color. Can someone give me a answer to why?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I tested my tank last night and it said that it was all ready. No nitrite nitrite or ammonia. This morning I woke up and tested it and it was at 5ppm nitrite(deep purple in color. Can someone give me a answer to why?
No, I don't know why the nitrite showed up after being 0 but I would give it a few days and test again. Nitrites when they cycle drop pretty fast so you are near the end. Do you know what clean up crew you are planning to keep? Nassarius snails are a good choice since you have a sand bed. Trocus snails are good for algae. I have an atlantic cucumber for my sand bed but you will want the tank to mature more so it doesn't starve. Also if you consider a cucumber make sure it can't get caught in a powerhead and poison the tank.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to check levels again later on today to see where the tanks at. Snails and hermits are what I am looking for. Sand sifting starfish is also already in the tank. It was in my old one and lived.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved all the zoa and paly over to this tank and got another small nugget favia. They are looking good and seem to be happy. Water change in the works this weekend. Here are some updated pics.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back