New 90gal mixed reef build by Crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thought I would start a thread on how my 90gal mixed reef is going. Just getting back into the hobby after a year or so break. I had a 50gal LPS dominate tank before. This will be my first real attempt with som SPS. On to the build. I have a standard 90 gal predrilled tank and stand. With a corner overflow. I had a custom sump made that's 30" long by 14" wide by 16" high. I have a Bubble Magnus curve 5 DC skimmer and a Jebao dcp5000 return pump. Also picked up a Tunze ATO. And I will be using my maxspect gyre 130 for flow. Starting with 75lbs of Marco rock. Here are some of the pics so far.

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pick of the tank on the stand still working on setting things up. Today I installed the under cabinet light and put in wire harnesses for the skimmer and return pump. Plus did the plumbing for the drain to the sump. Plan on making a board under the tank to plug everything into so it stays nice and neat. Plan is to start with 2 radion Xr 15 pros. And then add the aquatic life hybrid fixture with 4 T5's. Also picked up a Seneye monitor on Black Friday. SPS will be at the top of the tank with the most flow and Lps will be Middle and bottom. Tank dimensions are 48" by 18" by 24" deep. What do you guys think

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting an update on my 90 gallon mixed reef. I finally have water flowing. I started the cycle with the read sea mature pro kit. Not to sure how it is going though. The nh3 is being checked by my seneye monitor and has been fairly constant on 0.018 ppm. The nh4 jumped up to 26 and is now down to 16 but there is no unit attached to it. Nitrate test are in conclusive as I believe the comparator I have is for low range and the nitrates I have are definitely above 4ppm
So I am on day 8 and there has been no change to the system and I have followed the instructions to the letter and added one extra day to just dosing the no3 po4x as I am starting with all dry rock and sand. They did say it would take longer if I didn’t use live rock. Lights are on a 10 hour cycle and there is no other light in the room. Skimmer was just started yesterday and I have 2liters of marine pure in the sump a 1” sand bed and 75 lbs of dry rock. Total system water is 100 gal.

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after posting in my thread here I decided to do something crazy. I read the instructions on my Red Sea nitrate test to figure out how to do it correctly to end my confusion on my nitrate level. Crazy right. Well I now have a much better picture. So currently these are my levels
Phosphate 0.01ppm
Ph 7.95 to 8.05 swing throughout the day
Nh3 steadt at 0.018 (may buy a second tester to verify)
Salinity a 1.025
Nh4 16.79 still not sure on the unit may have to read those instructions too lol
And nitrates are at 20 ppm
All is at 8.1 dkh

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give you guys a rundown of the equipment I am running
90 gal display tank with Durso overflow
30 gal sump with marine pure spheres (2L)
Bubble Magnus cure 5 dc skimmer
Jebao dcp 5000 return pump
Hardline pvc plumbin on drains and return lines
Maxspect gyre 130
Seneye monitor
2 Radion xr15 pro lights
Ehiem 300w heater
Tunze ATO NANO
75 lbs of dry rock and 30 lbs of dry aragonite sand

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on my 90 mixed reef. Here are the latest pics with my electrical and straightened up and the new auto top off container installed

00E2B15A-CEE0-42C1-A075-126C2E087427.jpeg

7BB5D190-D44E-443B-B5E9-83DBDD589CE9.jpeg

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Zeovit reactor and most of my stuff to switch to a zeovit system is in so I will keep you guys updated on how it goes. Especially with the zeovit reactor from fish street.

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everybody just thought I would do a bit of an update on my tank. It’s been up and running for a while now. I have had some ups and downs. Running a zeovit system and have had a bit of an issue with nitrates being a bit too high. I have also had some hair algae which is probably related to the elevated nitrates. Kind of noticed a bit of a design flaw in my sump. The water comes in and passes through the socks then gets split where half of the water goes through the skimmer area and the other half or perhaps less goes through the lower flow area as the entrance is slightly restricted. This area was filled with marine pure and live rubble rock. Then it all goes into the return. I think the problem is not getting all the water through each section. It might be dampening my nutrient export.

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to turn the lower flow area into a refugium to help with nutrient export. Struggling with sps corals that are probably related to elevated nitrates and fluctuations in the alkalinity. But I am trying to get those under control. I think the fuge light will help stabilize ph and hopefully really help the nitrates. On the positive side lps corals are doing great. And fish seem happy. Had my Trochus snails reproduce which was cool. Still have way too many babies now though. I will post pics later today.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back