New Biocube 32, First Timer

Flyntm08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!

I was gifted an old Biocube 29(not 32) and decided to give it a go. The system is all original nothing has been upgraded. I did get two Sicce Voyager Nanos but currently only have one in the tank. I have never done aquascaping before and I was unsure how to set up the rocks. I had read to have many hiding spots so I tried to make a few different caves and swim throughs in my limited space. My long time friend is moving and will be gifting me two clowns and a Banggai Cardinal for my tank.

Front.jpg Front1.jpg Left Side.jpg Right Side.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your rockscape looks good!

I'd ask what kind of light your system came with. A lot of bio-cubes came with leds that weren't really bright enough. Also, how do you intend to mount corals on those rocks? I drilled holes in my rock before I set them up for the final time. That way I could just slip frag plugs right into the rocks. Holes that are unused disappear from view quickly (a month or two) and even frag plugs disappear in time.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
Flyntm08

Flyntm08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your rockscape looks good!

I'd ask what kind of light your system came with. A lot of bio-cubes came with leds that weren't really bright enough. Also, how do you intend to mount corals on those rocks? I drilled holes in my rock before I set them up for the final time. That way I could just slip frag plugs right into the rocks. Holes that are unused disappear from view quickly (a month or two) and even frag plugs disappear in time.
The Biocube I was given has the old school fluorescent lamps, it also only has the on/off toggle switches vs the programmed light schedule. My immediate goal is to find a new top and maybe get an entry level light like an AI Prime 16HD. I never thought about drilling holes in the rock for coral frags that is a good idea.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job with the initial rock scape, you nailed it. Steve’s LEDs has upgraded lights with the Biocube hood. My corals have grown well with stock lights on my Biocube 32 but I have the programmable ones.

Attachments

• CE43F98C-4BD3-4C06-A37E-084B9872A79A.jpeg
    CE43F98C-4BD3-4C06-A37E-084B9872A79A.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Flyntm08

Flyntm08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job with the initial rock scape, you nailed it. Steve’s LEDs has upgraded lights with the Biocube hood. My corals have grown well with stock lights on my Biocube 32 but I have the programmable ones.
Your tank looks great! It will take a while to get mine looking that glorious. One thing I have read is this hobby takes patience. I still need to work on that one. I currently have the lights off and have dosed with prime and stability, just letting it do its thing now. I guess the waiting period is the perfect time to create a solution for a new hood, I will definitely check out Steve's LEDs options! Thanks for the tip.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the AI Blade Grow 12" I added two in place of the original light and was able to keep the stock top on my Bio Cube 32. I can grow SPS no problem. The 32 has a fan built into the top which is needed. Use to have the 24 years ago but cant remember if there was a fan.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! It will take a while to get mine looking that glorious. One thing I have read is this hobby takes patience. I still need to work on that one. I currently have the lights off and have dosed with prime and stability, just letting it do its thing now. I guess the waiting period is the perfect time to create a solution for a new hood, I will definitely check out Steve's LEDs options! Thanks for the tip.
Just picture in your head how it will look in 2 years and just keep pushing forward and before you know it you’ll be there.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!

I was gifted an old Biocube 29(not 32) and decided to give it a go. The system is all original nothing has been upgraded. I did get two Sicce Voyager Nanos but currently only have one in the tank. I have never done aquascaping before and I was unsure how to set up the rocks. I had read to have many hiding spots so I tried to make a few different caves and swim throughs in my limited space. My long time friend is moving and will be gifting me two clowns and a Banggai Cardinal for my tank.

Front.jpg Front1.jpg Left Side.jpg Right Side.jpg
Aquascape looks good!

OP
OP
Flyntm08

Flyntm08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the AI Blade Grow 12" I added two in place of the original light and was able to keep the stock top on my Bio Cube 32. I can grow SPS no problem. The 32 has a fan built into the top which is needed. Use to have the 24 years ago but cant remember if there was a fan.
I do have a fan on my hood, so this could be an option for me also! Do you have a photo of your hood with the blades installed?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a fan on my hood, so this could be an option for me also! Do you have a photo of your hood with the blades installed?
I'll be back home this weekend and post a pic. But basically, I just removed the original light and cover and have the blade sitting on the tank. The lid can open and close perfectly without disturbing the Blade. The Blade is waterproof so no issues there.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people have caught on to the idea of pre-drilling holes in their rock so frag plugs fit in easily. You just need to be careful not to apply too much pressure when drilling soft rocks as they can break. I just added a new rock and all the coral frags are in pre-drilled holes.

20231221_104406 R1.jpg

My tank has been running for 10 months and 95% of the corals are in pre-drilled holes. The anemones are in PVC end caps and then placed in the sand. They almost never move out of the end cap. Sorry for the ugly photo, but the tank is pretty blue right now and the glass needs the coraline algae scrapped off!

20231221_104428 R1.jpg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of your hood with the blades installed?
This is how it’s set up right now. I’m using it for overflow softies and LPS since I set up my new 150 gallon SPS tank. So only one light in there. Two fit just fine though and was plenty of light for SPS. It's so simple. The stock bracket that comes with the Blade fits perfectly inside the rim and the top shuts right over it. When the top is open, you can slide the Blade back and forth to work on the tank. With one blade the fan is really not needed. With two it can get warm under the hood so the fan keeps it cool.

5CB7DE5E-9FCF-4FBF-8BEC-B5F1D7047AF5.jpeg F3EDFA5E-5AA4-4CCB-ABF9-9A40AB6F3A29.jpeg C5B5550C-3CE4-42BF-8500-54C0CEE81FCD.jpeg

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house gets pretty hot in the summer and the stock hood was over heating the tank pretty often.

This was a game changer:

Cooler- AC Infinity MULTIFAN Mini, Compact 40mm x 20mm USB Fan ()

Last edited:

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house gets pretty hot in the summer and the stock hood was over heating the tank pretty often.

This was a game changer:

Cooler- AC Infinity MULTIFAN Mini, Compact 40mm x 20mm USB Fan ()

Thanks. That's a great option.

stephydawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it’s set up right now. I’m using it for overflow softies and LPS since I set up my new 150 gallon SPS tank. So only one light in there. Two fit just fine though and was plenty of light for SPS. It's so simple. The stock bracket that comes with the Blade fits perfectly inside the rim and the top shuts right over it. When the top is open, you can slide the Blade back and forth to work on the tank. With one blade the fan is really not needed. With two it can get warm under the hood so the fan keeps it cool.

5CB7DE5E-9FCF-4FBF-8BEC-B5F1D7047AF5.jpeg F3EDFA5E-5AA4-4CCB-ABF9-9A40AB6F3A29.jpeg C5B5550C-3CE4-42BF-8500-54C0CEE81FCD.jpeg
That is a great idea. So you leave the stock lights off?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea. So you leave the stock lights off?
When I first did it I just left the Bio Cube lights in place and had the AI blades counter sunk to the inner rim/lip of the tank. See below. That worked great as it allowed the top to close properly with the original lights in place. The issues with doing it that way were 1) The Blade would block part of the Bio Cube light unless it was set in front or behind it. Not an issue if using two Blades but using only one doesn't center the Blade light. 2) The AI Blade would get more condensation on it. This is not really an issue I guess as the Blades are IP66 rated water resistant. 3) You need to be more careful about knocking the fixture in the tank. 4) There's less venting for heat dispersal. Since I didn't need the Bio Cube lights with 2 AI Blades, I just removed them which allowed me to position the blades where I wanted for more than enough par throughout the whole tank for sps and better heat dispersal. Now if I were to do a dedicated mixed reef, I would leave the Bio Cube lights in place and countersink one Blade in front or behind the Bio Cube light. Then place the SPS toward the back half or front half with the LPS/Softies opposite for a nice aquascape. If heat became an issue I think @Kiboshed cooling fan hack would do the trick.

IMG_2971.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back