New designer Longfin clownfishes released!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cultivated Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey R2R,

The clownfish creators have been very busy making us some new cool designer fish for our tanks. We at Cultivated Reef are proud to offer over 60 different tank raised sustainable fish for this wonderful hobby of ours! The latest offering is a remake of the Longfin clownfish. These have a different genetic make then past longfins and seem to have a much more uniform and flowing long fin.

Check em out!!!

Black Ice Longfins
sr_longfin_-black_ice_clownfish-510x340.jpg

SR_Longfin_Black__Storm_group_2-510x530.jpg

Premium Black Ice Longfins
sr_longfin_premium_black_ice-1-510x340.jpg

SR_Premium_Black_Ice_Longfin_group-510x546.jpg

Mocha Lonfins
sr_mocha_longfin8-510x340.jpg

SR_Mocha_Longfin_group-510x465.jpg

We have very limited numbers of all three now available.

Thanks for looking,
Cultivated Reef

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have such mixed emotions about these. I’m all about captive breeding and reducing stress on wild ecosystems, but I can’t help but wonder have we gone too far with these.

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have such mixed emotions about these. I’m all about captive breeding and reducing stress on wild ecosystems, but I can’t help but wonder have we gone too far with these.
The fancy ones look even more deformed I would like to see a full sized one swim. But I agree I'm all about enhancing natural characteristics and getting more colors. But as a race we dont breed mutations in our selves. So I also am conflicted with these guys... but if they can move in the water just as well and dont start swimming into power heads, I'm all for it.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We seen these at MACNA. They actually swam like normal clownfish. I am not a fan of the previous longfins, but these I like.
They were moving around the tank like all the other clowns. Flow did not seem to bother them. And all the other long fins we have seen have a deformed looking face/mouth. These looked normal.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Applied Mendelian genetics allows for enhanced expression of natural variations available in a population. In the wild, these might have all died out, but in a captive system, they can be encouraged to thrive. They remind me of Japanese Koi. They are a credit to the world of captive breeding and an enhancement to the hobby, but certainly not everyone's cup of tea perhaps?

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
they do draw a lot of attention. out of a few hundred clownfish in a tank (at Macna), I instantly noticed these longfin. Not saying I like them, but I noticed them first over everything else.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Applied Mendelian genetics allows for enhanced expression of natural variations available in a population. In the wild, these might have all died out, but in a captive system, they can be encouraged to thrive. They remind me of Japanese Koi. They are a credit to the world of captive breeding and an enhancement to the hobby, but certainly not everyone's cup of tea perhaps?

I’m definitely not going to deny that any captive breeding is an enhancement to the hobby and they certainly aren’t for me. I just remember that previous attempts at this style were mixed results at best. I have a problem when the results of the crosses result in the need to cull quantities of life due to deformities or undesirable traits in attempt to gain aesthetics. Hopefully these are the exception and the batches are consistently well formed and healthy.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of mixed bred dogs and cat's out there that we all love (wouldn't trade my Chiweenie for the world). Heck they're even healthier than pure breeds due to greater genetic diversity. What's the difference here?

The opposite can also be true if you look at breeds that have been overbred for aesthetics. German Shepherds frequently have hip issues and dogs with short snouts such as pugs and bulldogs have breathing issues due to breeding for a look.

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“These have a different genetic make then past longfins”
Please elaborate. As far as I know past longfins had irreversible health issues.

OP
OP
Cultivated Reef

Cultivated Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“These have a different genetic make then past longfins”
Please elaborate. As far as I know past longfins had irreversible health issues.

Here is some additional info taken directly from the Seaandreef.com website...

The creation of our Longfin Black Ice Clownfish

The mutation that created our longfin clownfish came from a single fish. In December 2013 our Hatchery Manager Brandon Weik was looking into a tank of several thousand Black and White Ocellaris (also called Darwin Ocellaris). He spotted a fish that looked very different than his brothers (all clownfish are born male). It had long flowing fins and was getting beaten up, probably because of its different look. The fish was isolated and later paired up. A story was published about our findings in Reef Builders in April 2014. You can read the article by clicking here.

Our Black and White longfin clownfish was paired up and shortly after the pair started to produce offspring. Unfortunately, less than 1% of the offspring produced displayed the longfin trait. For the last five years the Sea & Reef team has been working tirelessly on increasing the yield of longfin clownfish offspring and producing different variations. While the yield has increased, we are still not able to produce longfin clownfish in very large quantities so expect the release to be somewhat limited. The first longfin clownfish we are releasing is the Black Ice Longfin Clownfish. However, there will be several other variations coming out fairly soon, so stay tuned!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back