New here having some questions about vodka dosing

that_boy_fini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been vodka dosing for 3.5 months now on our 80g system nitrates were over 140 and gha was thick 3.5 months later it’s all gone except the high nitrates were dosing 19mls of vodka a day in the morning but the nitrates have stayed a maxing out the Hanna checker at 75+

We do have 9 fish a proper clean up crew and a moderately stocked tank

All our other parameters have been stable at 9.5-10dkh cal is 460 and mg is 1280-1350 all corals look happy except the sps

At this point I’m considering a bio pellet reactor

I do feed 1x a day 1 sheet of nori a day we have a yellow tang
I recently started feeding reef roids because I’ve seen that it’s mostly phosphates and lfs said that could be the reason our nitrates weren’t dropping
We’re doing 10-15g water changes every week gha is nonexistent at this point but I want to keep sps and 75+ isn’t kind on sps

Any help is appreciated

IMG_1825.jpeg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

SeaworthyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef !

If you’re aiming for sps, the dkh is a touch high but nothing crazy, I usually aim for 8.5 with sps. And 75 nitrate is no big deal for sps either, we have a 5 year old tank that sits around 85 and the acros love it, but I feel this tank is different than most and I usually aim for 10-20. What is your phosphate at? If there isn’t enough phosphate to use your nitrate won’t drop much without extreme carbon dosing, which I feel yours is getting close to. I dose 35ml in a 325g system daily for example which I would consider moderate.

OP
OP
T

that_boy_fini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef !

If you’re aiming for sps, the dkh is a touch high but nothing crazy, I usually aim for 8.5 with sps. And 75 nitrate is no big deal for sps either, we have a 5 year old tank that sits around 85 and the acros love it, but I feel this tank is different than most and I usually aim for 10-20. What is your phosphate at? If there isn’t enough phosphate to use your nitrate won’t drop much without extreme carbon dosing, which I feel yours is getting close to. I dose 35ml in a 325g system daily for example which I would consider moderate.
I’ll check phosphate when I get home but it’s usually 0.00-0.03

SeaworthyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check phosphate when I get home but it’s usually 0.00-0.03
Id agree with your local it’s then. With high nitrate and low phosphate your system can’t catch up since they will usually be consumed at a balanced rate meaning one will always climb without the other. What type of feeding do you do?

OP
OP
T

that_boy_fini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef !

Id agree with your local it’s then. With high nitrate and low phosphate your system can’t catch up since they will usually be consumed at a balanced rate meaning one will always climb without the other. What type of feeding do you do?
we feed mysis 1x a day but it’s in the afternoon we just started feeding reef roids on Sundays and Tuesdays this week I also use aquavitro fuel on Thursdays and Saturdays but that’s it

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what is going on with me, low phos and high nitrate, so how do i fix this ?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None i tried a fuge but my sump is to small with the big skimmer i have
That's something you should consider improving at some point, if you can. Another suggestion is to dose copepods and phyto - They eat the bacteria that generate the nitrates, and are in turn eaten by your livestock.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's something you should consider improving at some point, if you can. Another suggestion is to dose copepods and phyto - They eat the bacteria that generate the nitrates, and are in turn eaten by your livestock.
I have been doing that, added a ton of pods and feeding phyto

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back