New JBJ owner

DialHammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 28G JBJ Nano off a guy. It came with the dual returns and a jbj wavemaker (box that alternates the power on the return pumps). After I cleaned It up and gave It a good leak test I noticed It had a 24G LED hood on it. The hood fits fine, it just allows access to the sump side of the tank. My question comes with what kind of equipment (skimmer, if a powerhead is needed) should I get and what can I grow under the stock LED hood (11 3watt LEDS). im sure softys, maybe LPS, and hoping SPS

Thank you in advance

Smells Fishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added another powerhead (Jeabo wp-10) cause the stock pumps don't offer much for all around flow. I'm don't use the stock wavemaker just the one on the jeabo. I don't use a skimmer just save your loot and do more water changes. I use an aftermarket LED so can't help yay with the stock one, but I'm sure it'll do well.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added another powerhead (Jeabo wp-10) cause the stock pumps don't offer much for all around flow. I'm don't use the stock wavemaker just the one on the jeabo. I don't use a skimmer just save your loot and do more water changes. I use an aftermarket LED so can't help yay with the stock one, but I'm sure it'll do well.
+1 for this reply. I don't use a skimmer on my NC 28G either and have had great success. I did do the retro-fit from rapid LED. Definitely get a pump for the display. I would get the jebao RW-4, which is an upgrade to the WP10. Good luck!
I would upgrade the media basket to the Intank one, which is like 100 times better than the stock crappy media basket(one of the best buys for my tank):
Nano Cube 28 Media Basket

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice I believe I'll add a wp-10 and run it with no skimmer and just use the media basket.
Yeah, I do 3g weekly water changes on my NC 28G. Just be careful with those stock LED'S, since they are not dimmable like mine, so you can bleach corals easily with it.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a skimmer, weekly WC will be just fine.

I moved the right side basket to the left side of sump, and made a mini fuge...on the right.

We the Kessel A350W, led light and it works very well. ..

Jeppun21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably change those return pumps. I dont like the stock pumps that the jbj has since they are too noisy. I would go with cobalt mj 1200 or 900. Pumps are dead silent. Also i would go with either wp10 or mp vortech. The wp10 is cheaper than the vortech pumps but to me i like having no wires in my tank plus ecotech customer service is the bomb if any problems arise with the pumps. Also if u can upgrade the lighting since the stock lights are not dimmable and are too white. Lastly, I'm my opinion i would still go with a skimmer i have the tunze nano 9001 which fits great in the middle chamber and works wonders..

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a maxi jet 900 on my 12g jbj. A 1200 would probably be better on this size. Definitely was a must upgrade for me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back