New male seahorse not eating much.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

If you are following me you know I have been building a reef safe seahorse tank out of a 32 gallon biocube. Yesterday I finally was able to add a male to my tank of two other female erectus ponies. He is a bit bigger than them but that shouldn't be a problem as they are still growing. However I have noticed that he isn't eating as much nor does he actively follow his prey until the others stop moving. Is this just a part of being new and shy? How long does it normally take for ponies to get used to their tank mates? So far both girls are curious about him, but keeping their distance.

image_from_ios.jpg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not abnormal for any seahorse to be a bit reluctant at first although some seem to take to their new locations very quickly. The main thing is that he IS eating even though it seems reluctant.
Males traditionally IME are less active than females and that includes oftentimes feeding as well. I had some seahorse males that eat aggressively while others in the same tank, same species, show a great reluctance. These are about 4 yrs. old now so obviously they are eating enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back