New Mandarin

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband just “surprised “ me with a mandarin goby. While I thanked him for his kindness, I’m also a wreck because I was not prepared for this. It’s too late now to go to LFS for pods. What would you suggest to keep this little beauty alive? My tank is peaceful with happy fish, corals and anemones. Thank you for any advice!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta hatch up some baby brine shrimp but it takes a couple days.

forge55b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With warm enough water 24 hours usually works. But you should have at least some copepods in the tank already. Just may want to seed more.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? At over 75G or so with no other major pod eaters it should be fine indefinitely. In the short term, if you train it onto prepared foods, it can still work out fine.

My method has been to confine them to a mesh breeder box and feed some frozen twice a day, removing the old stuff before the next feeding. They usually start eating some within a week and will eat when fed within two, and if it's not already emaciated, it should be able to last that long.

To help things along and help it settle in, you could add a few amphipods to the box from a sump or the like, and while I think it's less common to get them eating pellets, trying a few out could speed the process if they already recognized them.

Artemia nauplii are a good temporary food source in a pinch, with decent eggs you can hatch in less than 24 hours, but while it is easy to do, not having a shrimp hatchery on hand means you've got to wait for shipping or find one elsewhere. Some LFSs have live copepods for sale and those could work, but mandarins will accept live bloodworms (or similar) too - just not sure whether they'll go after them quickly, and the saltwater probably kills them fairly quickly.

OP
OP
Ariel'sMom

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? At over 75G or so with no other major pod eaters it should be fine indefinitely. In the short term, if you train it onto prepared foods, it can still work out fine.

My method has been to confine them to a mesh breeder box and feed some frozen twice a day, removing the old stuff before the next feeding. They usually start eating some within a week and will eat when fed within two, and if it's not already emaciated, it should be able to last that long.

To help things along and help it settle in, you could add a few amphipods to the box from a sump or the like, and while I think it's less common to get them eating pellets, trying a few out could speed the process if they already recognized them.

Artemia nauplii are a good temporary food source in a pinch, with decent eggs you can hatch in less than 24 hours, but while it is easy to do, not having a shrimp hatchery on hand means you've got to wait for shipping or find one elsewhere. Some LFSs have live copepods for sale and those could work, but mandarins will accept live bloodworms (or similar) too - just not sure whether they'll go after them quickly, and the saltwater probably kills them fairly quickly.
Thank you for good information! My LFS opens at 10am and hopefully they have copepods.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mandarin will go through a pack of pods in a few days, it’s not sustainable to keep buying them. If you have a small tank or a new tank, then you should return it to the store and trade it for something else.

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just flow some brine shrimp egg in a bottle in the sump or back filter if you have an AIO. they'll hatch in 24 hours. look up PaulB mandarin feeder. if you can't create one yet than put the mandarin in a feeder box and put the baby brine shrimp in there. get some TOD pellet, you might be able to train the mandarin to eat that over time. good luck and happy reefing

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just flow some brine shrimp egg in a bottle in the sump or back filter if you have an AIO. they'll hatch in 24 hours. look up PaulB mandarin feeder. if you can't create one yet than put the mandarin in a feeder box and put the baby brine shrimp in there. get some TOD pellet, you might be able to train the mandarin to eat that over time. good luck and happy reefing
I second TDO. Get some of the smaller size pellets.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose pods. I dosed pods for a while for my mandarin pair but they are always eating and fat. Dose once a month now just to be safe. Youve got corals and nems so chances are youve got pods. How big is the tank? Nothing to stress out about tonight if its healthy it will be okay until you can get to the store tomorrow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back