New Member From Nebraska Back Into Reef Keeping After 10 Years

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE the influx of hobbyists that are coming back after a 9+ year hiatus! I know when I had a few years between setups, I was FLOORED when I saw the advancements that had been made over that short amount of time, so this has to be super exciting for you guys!

Welcome back!

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE the influx of hobbyists that are coming back after a 9+ year hiatus! I know when I had a few years between setups, I was FLOORED when I saw the advancements that had been made over that short amount of time, so this has to be super exciting for you guys!

Welcome back!
It's pretty awesome for sure. One of the things that amazes me the most is the advancement in LED lighting. Also seems like just about everything can be automated now a days too. Love the learning curve and the whole process. I swear I've read an encyclopedia over the last month trying to get back up to speed on things again!

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my AI Hydra 32 fixtures today. Having trouble figuring out how to turn them off though? I don't want to run them while cycling the tank. There's no on/off switch in the app, and pushing the button on the fixture doesn't seem to work either. Can anyone tell me how to turn them off?
1379842F-BEB7-4C07-85C5-C8CD894BF03F.jpeg
045195E0-3025-4535-9A8B-31D52A4533A7.jpeg
F00C00FD-599C-46B4-8B4E-8E11B95BDACD.jpeg

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that you missed my earlier post. It looks like you are using both pipes in the overflow as drains. Why is that?
Sorry, I must have missed your earlier post. The drain system is using the Herbie Overflow method. Each corner has a main drain standpipe and an emergency drain standpipe. The taller of the two is the emergency drain in case the main siphon drain were to clog or not drain fast enough. My sump has dual bulkheads for the overflow, so each main siphon drain goes into them, and the emergency drains are plumbed into the skimmer compartment. The return is then plumbed over the back in the center.

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my tank is the same marineland tank as yours, but only a 120. When I had it set up before, I did it the way that they say to plumb it. One for the drain and the other for the return. Never had any problems with it in the 10 years that it was running. I might have to look into doing it the way that you are though.

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my tank is the same marineland tank as yours, but only a 120. When I had it set up before, I did it the way that they say to plumb it. One for the drain and the other for the return. Never had any problems with it in the 10 years that it was running. I might have to look into doing it the way that you are though.
yep, it comes with a Durso drain standpipe and tells you to use one hole in the corner for that, and the other for a return, but I chose the Herbie Method instead. It's my understanding it is quieter. I cut the Durso return pipe off and built the Herbie with two emergency drains. The only noise from the whole system is the sump where water flows into the filter sock. Pretty awesome drain system, definitely worth looking into!

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle Update

Day 10: ammonia was at zero, nitrites off the charts
Days 11-13: no ammonia doses, nitrites off the charts. Dosed two bottles of Bio-Spira
Day 14 (today): nitrites at 1 ppm

I've been reading a lot about how good Bio-Spira was, but was a little skeptical. I'm shocked that in 24 hours it dropped the nitrites like it did. I don't know what the nitrites were at as the test kit only goes to 5 ppm, so it dropped at least 4 ppm, but probably more. Hoping to dose ammonia again tomorrow if the nitrites are at zero.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 80 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back