New Office Tank in Japan - Interesting Overflow Setup...

JasenHicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am Jasen and live in Japan thanks to the US Navy. I have a small 8 gallon "reef" tank in my office I setup since I spend more time there than home for the most part. It's been going for about 18 months and since I just got extended for 3 more years, I figured it was time to "upgrade" to a more robust system that looked a little bit more put together (something that I would have in my home and would have done the last time I had a major tank setup). Getting away from the Eheim canister, HOB skimmer and such. Upgrading to a 15 gallon (huge!) with overflow and hopefully a Sapphire 26 sump. Just plopped a huge order for plumbing parts and an in sump skimmer from BRS. Interestingly, in the area I live there aren't many fish stores and online shopping here for new parts, fish, corals, etc. is far more difficult here than it was 13 years ago when I had my last tank setup in the states (Norfolk VA had a lot of shops with a lot of competition). Fortunately, US vendors ship USPS for the most part and the small shop here has some decent stuff albeit a gamble each time. I digress...

I picked up the one tank they had for sale that was about the size I wanted for the office that was drilled and I was fascinated with the way they do their overflow boxes in tank. I figured I would show it off to you so you too could get a kick out of it.

1x massive "bulk head" siliconed into place that accepts a single piece of 50mm PVC (~2"). Not shown in the pictures.
1x elbow with a 13mm (~1/2") coupler plastic welded into the center of it.

The idea is that the elbow is fitted to the pipe under the tank after its glued into place and the return pipe travels up the center of the drain and back to the display tank. It's a super interesting way to do it and saves on the number of holes in the bottom of the tank.

IMG_20200809_163645.jpg IMG_20200809_163628.jpg IMG_20200809_163641.jpg IMG_20200809_163655.jpg

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very different. I had a similar idea to this when planning my bean animal overflow exept the return pipe was going to be passed through the emergency drain instead of the syphon drain. I think the idea is good for smaller tanks but not really necessary for larger ones which is why i didnt go through with it.
BTW i know you said there arent as many stores where you are but do you find they have the same sort of selection where live stock is concerned or do they have things that you normally wouldn't find back home?
(Just curious)

OP
OP
JasenHicks

JasenHicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty run of the mill stuff from what I remember. I haven't had a tank setup in about 12 years and we had at least 4 shops within 15 miles of my house in northern Virginia making variety and options plentiful. Its also a rather "small" store by our standards, but its large by Japan standards. They have a lot of softies, shrooms, etc. but I don't recall seeing any SPS.

They do have a puffer in a tank that's about 2 feet long, which is neat :)

OP
OP
JasenHicks

JasenHicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, always cool to see a different solution the same problem.

It's more interesting when you go and all their tanks have this same setup, including the bigger ones. Next time I go in for something, Ill snap a picture of them in action. Unfortunately, the base CO just put us all back in modified shelter in place due to COVID-19 round 2 in our prefecture so my next trip might not be until I "run out of food" and need to go get my Clown (named Albert) and my Hippo Tang (named Nemo, because 'don't assume the species of my fish based on name'), Goby (Grant), and Fire Shrimp (Norman) some more mysis.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an overflow like this one on this build thread

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more interesting when you go and all their tanks have this same setup, including the bigger ones. Next time I go in for something, Ill snap a picture of them in action. Unfortunately, the base CO just put us all back in modified shelter in place due to COVID-19 round 2 in our prefecture so my next trip might not be until I "run out of food" and need to go get my Clown (named Albert) and my Hippo Tang (named Nemo, because 'don't assume the species of my fish based on name'), Goby (Grant), and Fire Shrimp (Norman) some more mysis.
Haha loving them names!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back