New Powder blue Tang acting kinda odd??

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week ago I got a purple tang and the next day I introduced a powder blue tang. I have a 120 gallon tank and they have been perfectly fine with each other which is great! However, the powder blue tang doesn't swim around the tank. He just stays in one small section of the tank which seems pretty abnormal for powder blues. At first I thought he was just shy in the new tank but considering its basically been a week I feel like maybe something could be wrong? He has been eating which is good but still I am a little worried. Any thoughts?

The purple tang also hides a lot and doesn't swim around much and just stays in his caves mostly. Does anyone possibly know how to encourage him to come out more often?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week ago I got a purple tang and the next day I introduced a powder blue tang. I have a 120 gallon tank and they have been perfectly fine with each other which is great! However, the powder blue tang doesn't swim around the tank. He just stays in one small section of the tank which seems pretty abnormal for powder blues. At first I thought he was just shy in the new tank but considering its basically been a week I feel like maybe something could be wrong? He has been eating which is good but still I am a little worried. Any thoughts?

The purple tang also hides a lot and doesn't swim around much and just stays in his caves mostly. Does anyone possibly know how to encourage him to come out more often?
It may just still be settling in, or another fish could be making it uncomfortable. There is also an observer bias, where new fish tend to hide when you are in the room watching it (grin).

Can you post a video?

Jay

OP
OP
jacqueline1989

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just still be settling in, or another fish could be making it uncomfortable. There is also an observer bias, where new fish tend to hide when you are in the room watching it (grin).

Can you post a video?

Jay

I've noticed he sticks mostly to the glass and goes around and around. Occasionally he'll go past the rock arch I have then quickly swims back to this area. I know tangs swim a lot but my previous powder blue didn't swim back and forth like this and went all over the tank. The only time my previous tang swam in one place was when he got sick and later died which is why I'm so worried.

I did just notice he has a white spot on his body. I'm not sure if it's a disease and this is why he is acting this way. IMG_7441.jpeg

Attachments

• powderblue.mov
    20 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed he sticks mostly to the glass and goes around and around. Occasionally he'll go past the rock arch I have then quickly swims back to this area. I know tangs swim a lot but my previous powder blue didn't swim back and forth like this and went all over the tank. The only time my previous tang swam in one place was when he got sick and later died which is why I'm so worried.

I did just notice he has a white spot on his body. I'm not sure if it's a disease and this is why he is acting this way. IMG_7441.jpeg

Yes - it definitely looks uncomfortable. It is "glass surfing", breathing a bit heavy and has pale coloration. I don't think that white spot is anything serious, but you are aware that powder blue tangs are really prone to ich, right? In fact, they are so prone to it, for years I avoided buying them - until I began a proactive quarantine process and started using that.

Watch the fish very closely for signs of ich. You might consider dosing the tank with Prazipro, in case the flightly behavior and rapid breathing is due to flukes.

Jay

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always found both purple tangs and powder blue to be the most aggressive .

Could be settling in but I would keep an eye on them .

OP
OP
jacqueline1989

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - it definitely looks uncomfortable. It is "glass surfing", breathing a bit heavy and has pale coloration. I don't think that white spot is anything serious, but you are aware that powder blue tangs are really prone to ich, right? In fact, they are so prone to it, for years I avoided buying them - until I began a proactive quarantine process and started using that.

Watch the fish very closely for signs of ich. You might consider dosing the tank with Prazipro, in case the flightly behavior and rapid breathing is due to flukes.

Jay
Yes I am aware they are prone to ich. I've had one before so I have been on the look out for ich signs since I got him. I was thinking it could be flukes as well, so I will probably dose the tank in case. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back