New Reef Parameter Monitors - Hydros Maven and Neptune Trident NP

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did they post reagent prices?

They talked about them in a live stream and said it would be in the cents per test. Could be 10 cents or 99 cents.

My very basic math says if that is the case right now the Trident NP is 1 test a day so 50 cents per parameter or $1 a day.

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be cautious. While the Maven may allow less than once per day, if you don't do tests frequently enough, the lines can clog and you'll have to replace parts. Additionally, we don't know if that is $0.99/test per parameter.

While I'm excited to check out the Maven as well, I just want to be cautious with the absolutes until we know.

I know Neptune has reasons for their once per day, and I don't believe it is purely financial. I can't speak to the amount of time it takes for the reagent to sit before problems arise though.

tl;dr; We don't know which option will be better for the wallet yet. If I had to take a bet, were likely looking at a pretty close price point.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be cautious. While the Maven may allow less than once per day, if you don't do tests frequently enough, the lines can clog and you'll have to replace parts. Additionally, we don't know if that is $0.99/test per parameter.

While I'm excited to check out the Maven as well, I just want to be cautious with the absolutes until we know.

I know Neptune has reasons for their once per day, and I don't believe it is purely financial. I can't speak to the amount of time it takes for the reagent to sit before problems arise though.

tl;dr; We don't know which option will be better for the wallet yet. If I had to take a bet, were likely looking at a pretty close price point.
Hydros has taken steps to prevent clogging. 1) they use a micro air pump to flush reagent out of the lines and back into the bottles after a test. 2) they use both saltwater then rodi water to flush the main lines/manifold then after use air to flush any water out.

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros has taken steps to prevent clogging. 1) they use a micro air pump to flush reagent out of the lines and back into the bottles after a test. 2) they use both saltwater then rodi water to flush the main lines/manifold then after use air to flush any water out.

I'll admit, I was trying to be a little less biased. But, I just spent my night last night taking my trident apart to fix a clogged line so I'm not going to try to defend them too hard... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Back