New Reef tank build

daltonr70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking into getting a 75 gallon predrilled tank for 100 bucks from my LFS. The top plastic middle support has a crack in it. Reason why its only 100.00 is it still safe to use like it is or a way to fix it? Also ive never done sumps so i dont know really what to buy or look for any info or links will help thanks.

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it unless you’re replacing top trim piece yourself. That top cross brace keeps the front and back glass panels from bowing out due to water pressure in tanks built with glass panels thinner than rimless tanks. Without an intact cross brace you’re increasing your chances of eventually blowing out the front or back panels of that tank. Skip it unless you’re using it for a reptile tank. For sump info just look up equipment threads here—tons of info!

OP
OP
D

daltonr70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it unless you’re replacing top trim piece yourself. That top cross brace keeps the front and back glass panels from bowing out due to water pressure in tanks built with glass panels thinner than rimless tanks. Without an intact cross brace you’re increasing your chances of eventually blowing out the front or back panels of that tank. Skip it unless you’re using it for a reptile tank. For sump info just look up equipment threads here—tons of info!
Is there a way to replace the trim kit and is it DIY friendly?

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to replace the trim kit and is it DIY friendly?

You’d have to contact the maker of the tank to ask if they sell replacement top trim pieces. Maybe your LFS could contact them? Then you’d have to remove it without damaging the tank and silicone the new piece on. Don’t know if it’s worth it to do all this considering it may void any warranty-not sure what’s the company policy.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back