New saltwater aquarium considerations? Good, Bad, Better for a newbie?

sidpost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was initially looking at one of those ~$250 AIO ~20G setups but, I think that is probably a bad idea for me. I am looking for a learner tank before I build my retirement home to learn the newbie mistakes early so I can commit better to a ~300G tank in the future (~3 years away).

Planet Aquariums are the obvious choice for somewhat local builds but, I also hear good things about Waterbox and Cascade.

At ~$1100, the Planet rimmed 36"x24"x25" at 90G with external overflow seems like it might be a better option for me to learn with. This would give me room and capability for sumps, ATO, skimmers, and similar things like controllers. 90G should also slow biology swings so, not as sensitive and not as likely to run out of control quickly.

Am I on the right track to a good start? What alternatives should I consider? What am I overlooking? I am in the middle of nowhere East Texas so, having a somewhat local mentor isn't going to happen. I am hopeful to start some limited participation at club meets.

TIA,
Sid

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet makes good tanks and this is a good starting size. The only thing I will throw out as a consideration is that I like doing my own plumbing and picking my own sump and equipment but many beginners are intimidated by these things. If you are not comfortable with the plumbing and are not confident picking equipment then getting a mass-manufactured AIO, or a sumped set up from RedSea, Waterbox, or someone else will remove these variables and it can make the initial setup easier for beginners.

OP
OP
S

sidpost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing and product selection don't phase me at all. I have worked a lot of air lift and various plumbing setups for my Tilapia over the years.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Innovative Marine as well. They have a IM Fusion 15 AIO for a hundred bucks plus 25 for shipping, nice tank, I just got mine two weeks ago.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was initially looking at one of those ~$250 AIO ~20G setups but, I think that is probably a bad idea for me. I am looking for a learner tank before I build my retirement home to learn the newbie mistakes early so I can commit better to a ~300G tank in the future (~3 years away).

Planet Aquariums are the obvious choice for somewhat local builds but, I also hear good things about Waterbox and Cascade.

At ~$1100, the Planet rimmed 36"x24"x25" at 90G with external overflow seems like it might be a better option for me to learn with. This would give me room and capability for sumps, ATO, skimmers, and similar things like controllers. 90G should also slow biology swings so, not as sensitive and not as likely to run out of control quickly.

Am I on the right track to a good start? What alternatives should I consider? What am I overlooking? I am in the middle of nowhere East Texas so, having a somewhat local mentor isn't going to happen. I am hopeful to start some limited participation at club meets.

TIA,
Sid
My suggestion is Ref sea Reefer 250 / 350 or similar size alternative. Big enough to experiment with different pieces of equipment like lighting, skimmers, reactors, UV etc…. Yet small enough to re-boot if things go south. Also this allows for nice selection of fish.
That is what I told myself.
What I am not sure is if skills learned on one of these scales up to 300 gal or you start from beginning.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back