New. Scared. Eager. All because of the Red Sea Max Nano XL G2

Bedowyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Why am I posting? Really, I have no idea. Other than I want to talk about this... concept.

I am in my 50s. In my bachelor 20s, I kept a tropical aquarium. I liked the glow, the minor challenge, and the fact that I was keeping something alive, when I could not realistically do a dog. Then I met my future (and current) wife. And everything went sideways. Two houses, one daughter, two dogs and 20 years later, I am feeling the itch. Except this time, I think it will be a marine setup.

And that is about all I know...

I have been poking at the concept for a few years. The idea of an AIO setup is very attractive to me, but I was not sure. In part, I was concerned about a lack of volume. Because the mantra seems to be that more water is better. And also, I was just a bit overwhelmed, wondering where to start. I wanted to focus on something ... some anchor.

And then this guy was announced: The Red Sea Max Nano XL G2

Now I am suddenly daydreaming. And focused.

I presume nothing. In fact, I very well could be talked out of that ... direction. But it is something to conceptualize. And to research against. It is a scenario anchor that I can being to wrap my brain around.

(While I save money :) )

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving Pictures Hello GIF

Welcome to the reef!
Everyone will say the same get the biggest you can afford an have room to keep. We all start somewhere and the tank fills up fast. What kind of fish are you thinking about? Coral or no coral This plays a major role in the size tank you will want. I have a variety of different sized tanks. And I still want to go bigger. The nanos are a great way into the entry of reef keeping as they are more reasonably priced and some come with everything you need. Figure out what all you want to keep and then go from there.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I respect those who keep small tanks, I found myself upgrading twice in my early days reef keeping. Now that I’m older, I settled on a size that lets me balance what I can keep vs space available. My 100g is also wider than tall which gives me room to aquascape vs my old 75g and 125g. Being 48” long lets me access the entire system including the stuff behind the tank. My advice is to find what works for your goals and go from there. Everyone has their own situation so no one solution works for everyone.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi and welcome.

I also have upgraded twice. You will eventually want more from your tank so go big.

Agreed with above what are you envisioning your tank to be? This will help people to guide you in the right direction. Lots of good people here, glad your a part of R2R now too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back