New silicone for vertical corners of 125g?

b-o-b-s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some research and can't really seem to find any good evidence that I can't just install new silicone on the front vertical corners. ... i believe most people repair tanks in this manor due too leaks but I don't have any. the remaining silicone is in great near new condition and I'm guessing the previous owner chewed up the silicone due to cleanings. The tank is an aga and is approximately 8 years old. The tank has no leaks and is in great shape otherwise. just wondering if anyone has had any success repairing the corner beads In any aquarium without doing the entire tank.

Attachments

• 1383706568024.jpg
    1383706568024.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
B

b-o-b-s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand that it doesn't stick to old silicone well but is there any point at which the old silicone is in good enough shape that the new might adhere?

OP
OP
B

b-o-b-s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or is it that not Big of a deal considering I don't have any leaks and I'm only trying to repair the corner bead?

OP
OP
B

b-o-b-s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just the front vertical corners from cleaning with a scraper i believe. The rest of the silicone is still in great shape and like New condition. I'm just wondering about joining the old and new silicone really.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you used the right type of silicone.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not strong enough, imo. I only use momentive rtv 100x. It is a sealant and adhesive.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fret over the silicone. Its fine. You just went over the corners , you didn't use it for bonding, no worries. Lots of tanks were built using that silicone, and normal 100% GE 1 Silicone.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back