new sump aquarium with huge pump that blows the substrate across the entire rear of planted tank

cotman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently my husband purchased a new sump aquarium for me - I used to have canister aqu previously. They installed it while I was not present and I am left with a pump and electronic metre without any instructions. Aquarium is 400 litres and it is set at 1:12 but the pump blows a huge crater in the substrate and if I move the direction of it, it blows the substrate and fish in the opposite direction. There are no instructions for the set up so how do I turn it down to avoid wiping out my planted tank? The electronic metre has F + - and W on it but no other indicators on how to set it? I was told to remove the pipe inlet and just let the water flow from the top from supplier but this results in the entire rear substrate along with plants being blown to the front leaving just the glass. Then I was told to cut the pipe in half and face it toward the side of the glass which results in a crater of about 6 inches around and substrate blown to the front in a steady pile. Fish are also pushed across - which I am sure is not meant to happen. How do I turn this down without stopping the volume of water going through the correct cycle of the sump?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So recently my husband purchased a new sump aquarium for me - I used to have canister aqu previously. They installed it while I was not present and I am left with a pump and electronic metre without any instructions. Aquarium is 400 litres and it is set at 1:12 but the pump blows a huge crater in the substrate and if I move the direction of it, it blows the substrate and fish in the opposite direction. There are no instructions for the set up so how do I turn it down to avoid wiping out my planted tank? The electronic metre has F + - and W on it but no other indicators on how to set it? I was told to remove the pipe inlet and just let the water flow from the top from supplier but this results in the entire rear substrate along with plants being blown to the front leaving just the glass. Then I was told to cut the pipe in half and face it toward the side of the glass which results in a crater of about 6 inches around and substrate blown to the front in a steady pile. Fish are also pushed across - which I am sure is not meant to happen. How do I turn this down without stopping the volume of water going through the correct cycle of the sump?
Add a flow control or reduce the pump size as it sounds to be too powerful

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of the pump and the controller you mention in your post. Someone will be able to help you if they have the details. If the pump has a controller it is probably DC and the flow can be reduced (it is probably at max right now which is more than you need)

If your tank is a planted tank with CO2 injection be aware that sumps will oxygenate the water a lot and you will need to add more CO2 to compensate. I would recommend a low return rate to help compensate.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every sump, regardless of return pump, should have a ball or gate valve between the return outlet on the pump and the return into the tank as a means of restricting flow.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could add a random flow generator. It’s an attachment for the outlet of the return nozzle that randomly changes the direction of the outcoming water. This keeps one spot from getting constantly blasted 24x7

VCA makes them and they aren’t expensive. This is a video that demos them, the pump is on constantly but as you will see, only certain propellers get hit and it randomly changes where the current is going. Some propellers stop. Some go slow. Some go faster. And it moves around from spot to spot.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back