New Tank, Cycling question.

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 29 gallon Aqueon one and I dosed One & only and ammonium chloride on April 29. Everything is looking good Ph is at 8.2, Ammonia is at 0, and Nitrate is at 10, But my nitrites have been at 0.25. Is this ok to add clownfish, or should I wait a little bit longer for the nitrites to lower.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 29 gallon Aqueon one and I dosed One & only and ammonium chloride on April 29. Everything is looking good Ph is at 8.2, Ammonia is at 0, and Nitrate is at 10, But my nitrites have been at 0.25. Is this ok to add clownfish, or should I wait a little bit longer for the nitrites to lower.

Nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish short term, even at what we consider 'very high' concentrations. Like 20ppm or whatever. I personally prefer that my nitrite-oxidizers are fully capable of handling all the nitrite produced, but different people have different opinions on this.

Bigger question is, what cycling method are you going with? Dr. Tim's? If so, the question is not whether parameters read 0, but rather if ammonia (and nitrite) reads 0 24 hours after dosing ammonium chloride. Though if you are using the API ammonia test kit, sometimes it just registers as 0.25 rather than 0 and that's fine too.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were likely cycled on May 1 or 2nb as you added bacteria.
Nitrite test at best are “close” and none read very accurate at low levels.
IMM, Your clear to sail!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COwCOw

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish short term, even at what we consider 'very high' concentrations. Like 20ppm or whatever. I personally prefer that my nitrite-oxidizers are fully capable of handling all the nitrite produced, but different people have different opinions on this.

Bigger question is, what cycling method are you going with? Dr. Tim's? If so, the question is not whether parameters read 0, but rather if ammonia (and nitrite) reads 0 24 hours after dosing ammonium chloride. Though if you are using the API ammonia test kit, sometimes it just registers as 0.25 rather than 0 and that's fine too.
Ok Thank you, Ill dose more ammonia.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back