visioned

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

IMG_4790.jpg

i'm trying to make sense of this picture; is that a piece of paper in between the seams? lol

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O man sorry for ya I'm in south jersey hope all turns out well

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way a seam should open up or split open when they put the solvent on the seam it reacts with the acrylic and melts it together .There could not have been any solvent on that seam that opened up

I agree completely, it would be fused at the seam if done correctly. It would have to delaminate/ crack under the fused seam. Doesn't look fused. Not enough solvent / not kept together long enough to fuse or no solvent!

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the solvent is used it makes the seam stronger than the acrylic if you were to say smack the tank with a hammer at the seam it would crack the acrylic and not the seam

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look at the pictures, especially the third one, it looks more like a impact/hit. The front panel of the tank looks fractured width wise, not length wise, on its edge. Little fractures one after another.

IMG_1306.JPG

OP
OP
Y

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did inspect the tank. There was one issue with a seam and I texted pics. He said didn't look like a problem. Then when I got it in a fully lit room I found more faults in the seams. One of the shock sensors did pop and minor damage to the crate but no evidence of damage to the tank.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look at the pictures, especially the third one, it looks more like a impact/hit. The front panel of the tank looks fractured width wise, not length wise, on its edge. Little fractures one after another.

IMG_1306.JPG

Those particles look to me to be shavings of acrylic produced by the cutter. It looks like a lack of solvent too me. Looks like someone starved a glue joint in woodworking!

Not discounting the idea of an impact, just stating my opinion of the particles in the picture

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be right I first thought it was bubbles on the seam Could that tank have been dropped

It could very well be a lack of solvent as well as an impact. The combination would likely explain why panels are seperating at the joints but also why there is fractures (partially glued joint seperating)

OP
OP
Y

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1306.JPG

This and the last pic of my 2nd post are the same seam, just a different angle. There was no damage to the rest of the front panel or the front of the crate.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don't want this problem but better you caught it now because if you filled that tank with water it would of had a major failure and I can tell you that is worse. I had a 300 marineland fail a year ago and what mess besides the loss of fish and corals

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did inspect the tank. There was one issue with a seam and I texted pics. He said didn't look like a problem. Then when I got it in a fully lit room I found more faults in the seams. One of the shock sensors did pop and minor damage to the crate but no evidence of damage to the tank.

Doesn't take much to fracture. There's your answer.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when looking at pick I could not figure out why tank looked cloudy in seam area. It must have been hit

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doesn't take much to fracture. There's your answer.

I'll play devils advocate! From the pictures I'm seeing little lines that appear to be the pattern left by a router. Perfectly perpendicular to the panel of acrylic, I don't think "natural" fractures would be as perfect. Also, if there had been any solvent in the seam, the router lines would not be visible as it would have bonded and deformed the micro surface of the edge...

OP
OP
Y

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not ruling out impact. The split seam is right where the crate was damaged. There was solvent on the edge of the seam but not sure if it was "in" the seam. Plus it was not crated well. No protection on the panels except for plastic wrap and 2, 2x2 strips of wood. No plywood or foam.

OP
OP
Y

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pics, This is looking down at top panel edge. To the right is inside of tank, left is outside

_DSC0024.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back