New tank: Need some reassurance or insight

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shuddering you saw is the one clownfish submitting to the other. In due time the one dominant clown will get bigger than the submissive male. I know mine has! If you’re looking long term and want to do best practice for everything, you may want to consider quarantining and treating your fish. Especially depending upon how you want to stock the tank. Just food for thought :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
It’s commonly called a skip cycle.
The rock is full of bacteria already so it can process ammonia.
The bottle was a good booster and just in case.

Nice tank and congratulations!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shuddering you saw is the one clownfish submitting to the other. In due time the one dominant clown will get bigger than the submissive male. I know mine has! If you’re looking long term and want to do best practice for everything, you may want to consider quarantining and treating your fish. Especially depending upon how you want to stock the tank. Just food for thought :)
This is definitely something I need to read more about. I suspect if I do a quaerentine tank, it will be if (more likely when) I upgrade to a larger set up. At that point, I’m assuming I could quarantine my clown fish before putting them into the new tank? I say this assuming all fish would need to be “sanitized”, if I sanitize any through quarantine and treatments.

Would the live rock be able to move? Or would it pretty much always be contaminated with whatever the clown fish came in with? Probably not the best place for these questions, plus I’m sure someone has asked and answered them a million times. It’s just what comes to mind when thinking about the logistics.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... that seems like a deep sand bed. But the tank looks nice!

You've seeded your tank with live rock. All of the good bacteria in that rock immediately goes to work on ammonia in your tank, which is why your cycle is shortened and why your ammonia spike may be less than you expected.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I you do transfer to a larger tank the rock can be reused. There would be a recommended fallow period of 76 days to kill the lifecycle of ich.

I've cycled a few systems now with bottled bacteria. Dr.Tims in my experience knocks out nitrite very quickly, even before ammonia when i test during cycling period. Just a heads up incase nitrites continue to linger.

Nitrates you'll be removing by water changes.

Congrats on the tank and great looking clowns. 29 nanocube was one of my forst systems. Great starter tanks for sure.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... that seems like a deep sand bed. But the tank looks nice!

You've seeded your tank with live rock. All of the good bacteria in that rock immediately goes to work on ammonia in your tank, which is why your cycle is shortened and why your ammonia spike may be less than you expected.

Agree, that is a lot of sand. If you do ever want to thin it for aesthetics, remove it slowly.

I love sand, but not that much sand :)

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Smite answered your question. If you quarantine the fish you have now and treat them for disease regardless of if you see any or not, you would just let the rock sit in a fishless environment for 76 days. This would kill any parasites that are (potentially) in your system. Quarantine procedures vary widely based on the type of fish you have, what you’re treating, and how you want to treat it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back