New Tank Swap Dilemma

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

I’m finally getting back into the Hobby and decided on starting a 5 gallon AIO I had , It currently just about to end cycling with new dry rock and sand . Little Did I know my family gifted me a Waterbox Cube 10. What would be the proper way to do a swap , I have a pair of tiny clowns coming in on Tuesday and the tank arrives Tuesday as well!!! Would I have to start the cycle all over again? Any tips or tricks would be helpful

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you define, “just about to end cycling”, but I would just move everything over. Give it a day then dose some ammonia and see how long it takes to convert. Depending how long your 5g has been up this should be a non-event and certainly not an emergency.

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you define, “just about to end cycling”, but I would just move everything over. Give it a day then dose some ammonia and see how long it takes to convert. Depending how long your 5g has been up this should be a non-event and certainly not an emergency.
I’m showing about 0.75ppm of ammonia , I’m on day 5 or so of cycling , So I’m anticipating for it be at 0 by Sunday - Monday at the rate it been going but my main concern is I get my clown and not sure if it requires for a whole tank cycle again or just dose bacteria and let it do its thing again

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m showing about 0.75ppm of ammonia , I’m on day 5 or so of cycling , So I’m anticipating for it be at 0 by Sunday - Monday at the rate it been going but my main concern is I get my clown and not sure if it requires for a whole tank cycle again or just dose bacteria and let it do its thing again

Tank cycle will pretty much pick up wherever is once you move everything over. That much ammonia still detectable is of indication poor biological filtration. Two clowns is already a lot for 10 gallons. Couple that with low tank maturity and stressed fish and you have a recipe for failure. Since it sounds like you’re already pigeon holed it’s a run what you brung scenario. Personally I would go to the larger tank and deal with the diatom bloom and early uglies again for the benefit of water volume.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup both tanks.

Just make extra saltwater. Move the water and rock to the new tank and add the additional water needed. Wait a little before adding anything to confirm water parameters are on track.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back