New tank, transfer, small upgrade

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's the same tank I have. I think it would depend on how long the old tank has been up and how often you clean the sandbed. Is the new stuff live sand or dry? If you kept the old sand super clean, you might be able to transfer it over without kicking up hydrogen sulfide. I would probably just use all the new sand first if it's live sand, then wash the old sand and mix it in. You might not have to cycle the tank after.
If it's dry sand, I would wash the old sand and put that in first, then use the new sand to fill out the tank. You can then save the rest of the new sand for future builds or upgrades.

For the water, I think you should probably just go with all new water. There isn't much beneficial bacteria floating in the water. They'll be on the rocks, sand, and bio media. So just start with new water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the sand is pretty thin, but I have been having issue with high PO4 is new sand.

PS I like your quote. WC every 2 hours.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read this

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you wouldn't want to use any unrinsed sand at all if you want a safe transfer. if you want to wing it, transfer mud over and risk an unsafe transfer, then used unrinsed sand. transferring unrinsed new sand is simple clouding that may last days on end in a tank you wanted clean on day 1...so you'd rinse any sand at all to pure cleanliness before installing in the new tank.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I checked out that thread, I will use all new sand. I was not trying to save money I was wondering if you need to seed it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I checked out that thread, I will use all new sand. I was not trying to save money I was wondering if you need to seed it.
I would rinse the new sand carefully too.
But yes, I normally take about 1 cup of sand from my established tank to seed the new tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back