New to saltwater first heatwave coming

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32gal biocube I wasn't paying good attention to the weather and a big heatwave is coming. I do not have a chiller so I was wondering my next water change on Tuesday if I see the temperature spiking can I buy extra water and freeze it as ice cube to drop into the tank to try to cool it off?

I started may 2nd with live rock from 4 different sump tanks (I'm new and decided one day to start because the 32gal biocube was offered for free) the tank pretty much instant cycled.

Current inhabitants among the countless hitchhikers I got I have added snails, hermit crabs, a what I was told a blenny that would eat algae it's actually a red dragonet (ree scooter blenny doesn't eat algae) I drop in a 6oz pod bottle for him every 2 weeks he's growing seems fine an emerald crab, and a coral banded shrimp (biggest regret).

Everything seems to get a long so far I bought everything very small I do have an aipista problem I can't get rid of because of the coral banded shrimp ugh but my biggest concern is going to be the tank temperature we are expecting the 100s this week coming in California. I will mostly likely just close everything up and run the AC at 78 but it's going to get pricey lol so the ice cube idea any good or anyone else have a better idea?

Thanks!

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider improvising some kind of spacers to elevate the entire lid above the tank, thereby creating a gap of air all around. Then aim a fan to blow across the surface of the water for evaporative cooling. Have plenty of RO water ready to replace the evaporated water. Hopefully you have an ATO to make this easier.

If temperature rises significantly, aim the return nozzle (or powerheads) upwards to get the most water surface agitation. The higher the water temp, the less dissolved oxygen it can hold.

You got this!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to freeze water bottles and when it’s very hot I’ll sit one in the sump just to regulate temp

I now run a air conditioner which keeps the temp a little cooler

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Powahfull - Really like your foresight in thinking ahead about potential weather problems! Sign of a great Reef keeper!

(Sorry I don’t have any advice but really am impressed with your ability to anticipate potential problems!)

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks everyone happy to be here! Great I wasn't positive on any potential hazards coming up freezing anything I like the ideas will use for sure happy Memorial Day!

Back