New to Saltwater Reefing 120g Long Tank Build

rhoule6819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have wanted to start my own saltwater reef tank for a while now, and with the wife finally given me the go ahead, I wanted a place where I can post my progress and updates as well as get some advice along the way. First things first, the tank is planning on going into our living room so I wanted to make sure that not only did I have a great looking stand but a matching Canopy as well. I decided to go the route of building my own stand. Now let me start by saying I am most defiantly an armature carpenter. I have been working on the stand and Canopy for the last 4-5 weeks on the weekend as time permits. I have posted a series of pictures so you can see how it has progressed. I must say I am very happy with how it has turned out so far and please feel free to post your thoughts on it. I plan on starting to prime and paint the stand this weekend hopefully. Once it has been fully painted/seal and I have an electrical come and put a dedicated breaker onto the outlet I will be using, my buddies and I will move it into the house, start setting up the equipment, plumbing etc.

Speaking of equipment below is the fully list of equipment I plan on buying. If you have any thoughts on the equipment by all means let me know (good or bad).

• Apex Aquarium Controller
  • 2x Netputne Systems Wav pump (4000 GPH)
  • 2x Reefbreeder Photon v2 32 inch
  • Apex Cor-20 Return pump
  • Leviathan Reef Sump 36
  • Leviathan ATO10 10 Gallon Auto Top Off Container
  • Skimz SM167 Monzter DC Protein Skimmer
  • Smart UV 25 Watt UV Sterilizer
  • BRS 6 Stage RODI 75 gallon/day
  • Neptune ATK Auto Top Off
  • BRS Dual Carbon & GFO Reactor with Pump
  • 2x Jager 300w Heater
  • Apex FMK Flow monitoring Kit
  • 2x Apex Leak Detection
Seeing as I will be getting an apex i wanted to have as much control ability from it . I will continue to post updates and pictures along the way so you all can see how it is going.

IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0092.jpg IMG_0094.jpg IMG_0095.jpg IMG_0100.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have wanted to start my own saltwater reef tank for a while now, and with the wife finally given me the go ahead, I wanted a place where I can post my progress and updates as well as get some advice along the way. First things first, the tank is planning on going into our living room so I wanted to make sure that not only did I have a great looking stand but a matching Canopy as well. I decided to go the route of building my own stand. Now let me start by saying I am most defiantly an armature carpenter. I have been working on the stand and Canopy for the last 4-5 weeks on the weekend as time permits. I have posted a series of pictures so you can see how it has progressed. I must say I am very happy with how it has turned out so far and please feel free to post your thoughts on it. I plan on starting to prime and paint the stand this weekend hopefully. Once it has been fully painted/seal and I have an electrical come and put a dedicated breaker onto the outlet I will be using, my buddies and I will move it into the house, start setting up the equipment, plumbing etc.

Speaking of equipment below is the fully list of equipment I plan on buying. If you have any thoughts on the equipment by all means let me know (good or bad).

• Apex Aquarium Controller
  • 2x Netputne Systems Wav pump (4000 GPH)
  • 2x Reefbreeder Photon v2 32 inch
  • Apex Cor-20 Return pump
  • Leviathan Reef Sump 36
  • Leviathan ATO10 10 Gallon Auto Top Off Container
  • Skimz SM167 Monzter DC Protein Skimmer
  • Smart UV 25 Watt UV Sterilizer
  • BRS 6 Stage RODI 75 gallon/day
  • Neptune ATK Auto Top Off
  • BRS Dual Carbon & GFO Reactor with Pump
  • 2x Jager 300w Heater
  • Apex FMK Flow monitoring Kit
  • 2x Apex Leak Detection
Seeing as I will be getting an apex i wanted to have as much control ability from it . I will continue to post updates and pictures along the way so you all can see how it is going.

IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0092.jpg IMG_0094.jpg IMG_0095.jpg IMG_0100.jpg

Looks like a great start! Welcome to the forum!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far and thanks for sharing it with us

And welcome to R2R!

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R&R!

Great build so far! Looks like your list is getting there... What are you planning for quarantine tanks, mixing station, or dosing pumps? I am currently working on a water exchange system for mine to do some auto water changes like the apex dos can do for you...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back