OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R! I am new here too.

You and I are from the same pea pod it seems! I have a bunch of FW setups and I started my first SW at the beginning of Nov with a Fluval 13.5 too. I had my first coral and fish in there by the end of week 1 too! Haaa haaa. Only reason I did that though is because I put in mature biomedia and live rocks. So that was crucial to getting stable
Yes! We must be fish tank twins. I also used live rock and sand, Fritz 900 and some rock with Zoas that had been in a tank at my local fish store for while. The saltwater is a big change but i am hooked!

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! We must be fish tank twins. I also used live rock and sand, Fritz 900 and some rock with Zoas that had been in a tank at my local fish store for while. The saltwater is a big change but i am hooked!
That's awesome. Yeah all that stuff turbo started your tank. It's a gamble in some folks' opinions because of potential and inevitable bad hitchhikers but it was a calculated risk. I haven't actually had much of an ugly phase since starting the fluval. My newest tank is definitely going through it. But I thunk its because it's a much larger water volume for the bacteria and copepods to have to populate. Because I started with some legit live rock that's loaded with stuff like bivalves, feather duster worms, found a mantis shrimp, and loads of various other stuff. It still wasn't enough to keep the diatoms and other algaes away. It's not too horrible yet, but we shall see! Lol

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Yeah all that stuff turbo started your tank. It's a gamble in some folks' opinions because of potential and inevitable bad hitchhikers but it was a calculated risk. I haven't actually had much of an ugly phase since starting the fluval. My newest tank is definitely going through it. But I thunk its because it's a much larger water volume for the bacteria and copepods to have to populate. Because I started with some legit live rock that's loaded with stuff like bivalves, feather duster worms, found a mantis shrimp, and loads of various other stuff. It still wasn't enough to keep the diatoms and other algaes away. It's not too horrible yet, but we shall see! Lol
Good luck! I’m already pondering a bigger tank as well.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I’ve been lurking but thought it’s time to say hi. Ive learned a lot of good things so far. I’ve got 11 tanks - 10 are freshwater. I‘m starting small with a Fluval Evo 13.5 and everything is going great so far. It’s been about 2 months. I jumped in with both feet and started stocking my tank after a week. Don’t go all crazy on me about waiting for cycling. I know all about it but I’ve always jumped right in and ive been really successful. Anyway, I’m glad to be here and thankful there is still an active group online. if anyone is in Central Texas please say hi. I’m in S. Austin. Best, Molly
Welcome!

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! My first tank was set up in Killeen... post some pics of the salt tank.!!

Attachments

• Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230916_145358_0000.png
    20230916_145358_0000.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 5

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back