New to the hobby and looking for feedback on my first build

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! Looks like you have a good plan for your first tank. Good luck with it and make sure to start a build thread when it gets under way

now what? fish GIF

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Brand new to the hobby, but have been watching a ton of videos these last few weeks. Looking for some feedback on the tank setup I was planning on pulling the trigger on. Ultimately when my wife and I started looking into it, we started with what kind of things we'd want to stock in the tank and we know we at least want a few tangs and so started looking at larger tanks to eventually put in the things we want as well as hopefully avoid having to upgrade in a year or two. This would also be going on our second floor, so trying to find a local structural engineer I can consult to make sure this thing doesn't fall through the floor.

Tank: Cade Reef 1500 S2
Return Pump: Vectra M2
Filtration: ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter & Reef Octopus Elite 220SSS 9" Protein Skimmer
UV: Pentair Smart UV Sterilizer (40W)
Controller/Testing: Trident & A3 Apex Pro Controller System Bundle
Powerheads: 2x VorTech MP40mQD
Heating: 600W (2x 300W) Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller
Lighting: 2x Radion XR30 G6 Pro with 1x AI Blade Glow and 1x AI Blade Grow

Was also looking at potentially adding a PaxBellum N24 Macroalgae Reactor (I don't like the other sump areas for a refugium, and this seemed like a good alternative and would help to keep the sump cleaner) and a VarioS CR200 8" DC Calcium Reactor down the line once I start adding livestock / corals to the tank. Really looking to simplify and automate as much as possible. I think the ReefMat is going to require some modification to the stock sump in order to fit. Local LFS has recommended staying away from Clarisea. Open to feedback / suggestions though :)

If anyone has any feedback on whether or not the PaxBellum N24 will help promote copepods, would love to hear. Was having trouble finding any information on copepod populations with the use of this reactor.
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back