New to the San Jose Area

Urban

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Guys!

I just relocated to the San Jose area from Modesto. I actually only moved to CA a little over 1.5 years ago, and while in Modesto finally decided to set up another system after being out of the hobby for a while. I am still familiarizing myself with the South Bay area, and have been to some EXTREMELY nice stores! Now that I finally have the system up and running (Reefer 170), I wanted to ask if there was anyone nearby who had any rubble, or chaeto from an established system that I could buy to actually seed the tank and try to get a pod population established?

Also, and this may be a little paranoia kicking in, but I most definitely want to ask... Having spent most of my life in the southeast, an earthquake toppling my systems have never exactly been a fear. What exactly do you guys do (if anything) to brace your setups? I got back on the forums while living in Modesto, but have been too busy to dedicate much time to them. Thankfully, now that the move is done, that's changed somewhat. I look forward to hopefully meeting and getting to know some of you local hobbyists!

- Dustin

Side note: Is it ok for me to post this in the introduction section of R2R also? I did an introduction while in Modesto, but went quiet for a while afterwards, and really want to try to reach out and make some connections.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warm welcome to r2r. You'll love it here.
Most bay area reefers are active in BAR (bayareareefers.org), so you may have better luck getting those items from BAR forum
I think its always a good idea to start a build thread and introduce yourself here . You also get a cool badge :)
I wont worry toomuch about earthquake protection for 170, but take that with a grain of salt. I have a biocube and couple of pico, they survived three 3.x scale quakes without any issues

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back