New Valenini puffer with green eyes and overeating

Moonraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I've been keeping a SW tank for nearly a year, it's been 3 months with fish in the tank, 4 with coral (took my time adding copepods and snails first after aging the water).

My setup & parameters: I use Instant Ocean reef crystals to mix seawater. 55gallons. 78.6 degrees on avg. Salinity 1.025. Water chem has a pH around 8.0+. Nitrites 0, nitrates near 0 (I have a bunch of macroalgae (2 kinds of caulerpa, gracilaria, halmieda, with some red grape too and a mangrove planted in there for this). There's coralline algae, copepods, a feather duster worm, and 2 soft coral. One occelaris clown that came in almost 3 months now and today I brought in a Valentini puffer. I have seen hydroids here and there and I nip those in the bud ASAP (I cover the cluster with seashells and decorations and this smothers them on my rockwork). The fish are separated by a partition; it's a 55 gallon that came with a divider in it with small holes, the clownfish chose the smaller size given 2 options so there's flow between the 2 sides but the fish can't interact (barrier is above the water line by a few inches and there's a lid on the tank). The clown stays on the 15-20 gallon "fuge" side while the 40-45 gallon side went to the new puffer. The fuge side has a 6" deep sand bed and the "display" side has a shallow one (less than an inch or so). I have 3 pumps, an airline/airstone, and 2 heaters. I feed the clown a combination of marine pellets, veggie and meat flakes, and frozen goodies in rotation (I have not fed the puffer yet because...see problem below).

I'm currently working on a low calcium problem for the coral and a bacterial infection that I didn't know about because my water wasn't visibly discolored but now that I know the Calcium/magnesium tests are en route to my house and I've got covered uv lighting right now b/c the new fish's eyes went from clear to a slight green tint on the outside after a few hours. UV lighting seems to be helpful thusfar. I haven't historically been the best at water changes, something I'm also correcting. The tank was cleaned the other day and the sand vaccumed just yesterday before my new fish came in. The clownfish doesn't have anything wrong with it at all, shows little sign of stress and was in fact mildly curious as always when I cleaned.

So today I got this new puffer, I acclimated her in ~30mins (same process I've done with all my fish). This new puffer has been chowing down on detritus worms (yes I'm sure they're detritus and not bristles) and the clown does occasionally too, no big deal. The puffer hasn't stopped eating though. Pieces of hair algae with worms in it, coralline, stuff in the sand, EVERYTHING. She even nipped at my coral once but gratefully didn't seem to have a taste for it. All of this is great, only its belly went from flat to full in a few hours too. And it's still eating!

Is this normal? I understock on purpose so I can keep a good eye on my stock and I'm worried b/c I lost a goby on my sandy side too a month and a half ago (all these are Petco purchases btw). The store said the pinkspot watchman that I bought was brand new and it declined slowly over the course of a week where its scales lost their shine and looked patchy/scaly. My watchman was a voracious eater too, curious and loved sand sifting so starvation wasn't the issue until the last few days. The store said this puffer had been there for a while on the other hand, still, I'm really sensitive to body condition changes on my animals, especially so fast.

If y'all can suggest other things I need to try to keep them healthy, let me know! I'll try to upload some pics, the puffer isn't puffed up, she's just full and still snacking. Specifically my questions are:

Why the green tint to the eyes so quickly?!
Do puffers overeat like this in general?? Please tell me she's not going to gorge herself to death.
Why has my clown been fine and not the other two? (It's been on both sides of the tank and is thriving).
Could this bacteria that the UV killed have gotten my goby or is it more likely that it came into Petco/my tank with some illness?
Could it be something toxic in my sand?

Please and thanks, Tori

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I've been keeping a SW tank for nearly a year, it's been 3 months with fish in the tank, 4 with coral (took my time adding copepods and snails first after aging the water).

My setup & parameters: I use Instant Ocean reef crystals to mix seawater. 55gallons. 78.6 degrees on avg. Salinity 1.025. Water chem has a pH around 8.0+. Nitrites 0, nitrates near 0 (I have a bunch of macroalgae (2 kinds of caulerpa, gracilaria, halmieda, with some red grape too and a mangrove planted in there for this). There's coralline algae, copepods, a feather duster worm, and 2 soft coral. One occelaris clown that came in almost 3 months now and today I brought in a Valentini puffer. I have seen hydroids here and there and I nip those in the bud ASAP (I cover the cluster with seashells and decorations and this smothers them on my rockwork). The fish are separated by a partition; it's a 55 gallon that came with a divider in it with small holes, the clownfish chose the smaller size given 2 options so there's flow between the 2 sides but the fish can't interact (barrier is above the water line by a few inches and there's a lid on the tank). The clown stays on the 15-20 gallon "fuge" side while the 40-45 gallon side went to the new puffer. The fuge side has a 6" deep sand bed and the "display" side has a shallow one (less than an inch or so). I have 3 pumps, an airline/airstone, and 2 heaters. I feed the clown a combination of marine pellets, veggie and meat flakes, and frozen goodies in rotation (I have not fed the puffer yet because...see problem below).

I'm currently working on a low calcium problem for the coral and a bacterial infection that I didn't know about because my water wasn't visibly discolored but now that I know the Calcium/magnesium tests are en route to my house and I've got covered uv lighting right now b/c the new fish's eyes went from clear to a slight green tint on the outside after a few hours. UV lighting seems to be helpful thusfar. I haven't historically been the best at water changes, something I'm also correcting. The tank was cleaned the other day and the sand vaccumed just yesterday before my new fish came in. The clownfish doesn't have anything wrong with it at all, shows little sign of stress and was in fact mildly curious as always when I cleaned.

So today I got this new puffer, I acclimated her in ~30mins (same process I've done with all my fish). This new puffer has been chowing down on detritus worms (yes I'm sure they're detritus and not bristles) and the clown does occasionally too, no big deal. The puffer hasn't stopped eating though. Pieces of hair algae with worms in it, coralline, stuff in the sand, EVERYTHING. She even nipped at my coral once but gratefully didn't seem to have a taste for it. All of this is great, only its belly went from flat to full in a few hours too. And it's still eating!

Is this normal? I understock on purpose so I can keep a good eye on my stock and I'm worried b/c I lost a goby on my sandy side too a month and a half ago (all these are Petco purchases btw). The store said the pinkspot watchman that I bought was brand new and it declined slowly over the course of a week where its scales lost their shine and looked patchy/scaly. My watchman was a voracious eater too, curious and loved sand sifting so starvation wasn't the issue until the last few days. The store said this puffer had been there for a while on the other hand, still, I'm really sensitive to body condition changes on my animals, especially so fast.

If y'all can suggest other things I need to try to keep them healthy, let me know! I'll try to upload some pics, the puffer isn't puffed up, she's just full and still snacking. Specifically my questions are:

Do puffers overeat like this in general?? Please tell me she's not going to gorge herself to death.
Why has my clown been fine and not the other two? (It's been on both sides of the tank and is thriving).
Could this bacteria that the UV killed have gotten my goby or is it more likely that it came into Petco/my tank with some illness?

Please and thanks, Tori
from what you describe, this thing has to be full - like really full. Either its full or may be constipated. Give it 8-12 hours and see if this has changed.
Im curious as to what worms it has ingested. Detritus is acceptable while any others questionable

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please and thanks, Tori

Please and thanks, Tori
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

A photo would help, but Canthigaster puffers have a green tint/sheen to their eyes, and this may change based on ambient lighting. I don’t see an issue with it feeding well, it should know when to stop. It may just be making up for poor feeding at the store.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idk if there's a better way to upload but here's a short video.

I don't see anything really wrong with this fish. It could still have a problem of course, just that I don't see anything in the video....

Jay

OP
OP
M

Moonraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what you describe, this thing has to be full - like really full. Either its full or may be constipated. Give it 8-12 hours and see if this has changed.
Im curious as to what worms it has ingested. Detritus is acceptable while any others questionable.

I don't see anything really wrong with this fish. It could still have a problem of course, just that I don't see anything in the video....

Jay
Awesome! I'll keep an eye on her but I'm glad I came here to check. Thanks so much~

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Agree looks fine to me

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back