NEWBIE Aquascape and Clownfish added

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally new to reefing. Had a previous tank with live sand and rock. Let it sit for a month. Added Dr Tims last week and the day we were set to get our fist fish we sprung a leak. Got everything into a brute with heaters as well while we searched locally for a new tank and stand. Almost ten hours later we had everything back in the new tank with a little more rock as we upgraded tank size. Added more Dr Tims and finally first fish today. So far so good. Had to completely change the Aquascape do to tank size and shape. Taking into account many tanks seen here and reading a ton from you all. what a great site for us newbies. Now to wait for the cycle be patient and take next steps. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
FEF52CD4-323E-4F2F-ACCE-E6EAF4A2F796.jpeg
06B5D3CE-2FF9-4F11-9F5F-DC5020CFDE9D.jpeg 82243638-B7ED-470A-B978-F22B346560B8.jpeg A39B74E6-4DAE-4810-9A5D-959FB43EC651.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh you can dump the whole bottle of Dr Tim's in if you haven't. Just take out any carbon or filter socks like the instructions say

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks neat! I like the archways. I think the biggest mistake new people make when aquascaping is that they end up piling rocks against the back and creating a sort of dump behind the rocks where waste collects because there is no flow. Your tank doesn't look like it'll have those issues so that's good!

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks neat! I like the archways. I think the biggest mistake new people make when aquascaping is that they end up piling rocks against the back and creating a sort of dump behind the rocks where waste collects because there is no flow. Your tank doesn't look like it'll have those issues so that's good!
Thank you. I paid attention to others. LOL. The clowns love the archways already.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. Good eye

One tip is the squeeze thje sponges out in old tank water when doing the water change (at least once a week is good). Also, you don't need to crank the lights to 100% on any channel until you get corals.

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tip is the squeeze thje sponges out in old tank water when doing the water change (at least once a week is good). Also, you don't need to crank the lights to 100% on any channel until you get corals.
Thank you. Only time I put the lights on is to feed right now. As much as I want to turn them on I am refraining from the urge To do so. I’m in for the long haul. Hard for an immediate gratification guy. LOL.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Only time I put the lights on is to feed right now. As much as I want to turn them on I am refraining from the urge To do so. I’m in for the long haul. Hard for an immediate gratification guy. LOL.

I would go ahead and have them on but just run them at low settings

Oh I also wanted to mention that one thing I have seen works really well for aio tanks like that are Dr. Tim's waste away gels. I cant say with 100% certainty that it was the reason, but a lot of people who start their tanks off dosing that or using the gels have a lot less algae issues up front (particularly in biocubes and fluval evos)

OP
OP
SteveMac84

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and have them on but just run them at low settings

Oh I also wanted to mention that one thing I have seen works really well for aio tanks like that are Dr. Tim's waste away gels. I cant say with 100% certainty that it was the reason, but a lot of people who start their tanks off dosing that or using the gels have a lot less algae issues up front (particularly in biocubes and fluval evos)
I will look into them. Thank you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back