Newbie-ish

MrsSchlatter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Webe had a biocube 29gal since 2014 or 15. We also within the last year bought a used established tank that was 6 years old. About a month after moving it and setting it back up I believe it either. 1. Stirred up too many toxins, 2. Re-cycled. Anyhow I lost everything but 2 clowns. And I battled nitrates like crazy. Anyhow it also got cyanobacteria (probably had it when we bought it). And I stupidly used the same syphon for both tanks on cleaning day and it went into my biocube. So I treated both tanks and of course nitrates are now crazy high in both tanks. And I've lost all but one clown in the large 90gal tank including snails and crabs. And all but an urchin, pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a couple snails and a crabs in my biocube. I've neglected the big tank because I just want to take it all down and start over. The biocube I plan to just probably remove half the sand and 75% of water to help with nitrates, add some new sand, and change chemipure more often. Anyhow. My question is more for the big tank. I want to remove all the sand first. Then Can I treat the tank again for cyanobacteria before breaking it all down? I see theres some red growth on the glass below the sand. Once I treat for that and it's gone I plan to completely drain the tank, and completely empty our 2 eheim canister filters and start with all fresh media and filter pads. But what should I do with all the live rock in the tank? Does it need some kind of dipping process, or could it be left in to recycle the tank? Thanks

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

Welcome again. You've got a lot going on.

You'll really have your hands full trying to bring back two troubled tanks at once. Especially of cross contamination continues to be a concern. It sounds like all your livestock would fit comfortably in either.

Have you given any thought to consolidating temporarily? Then you would be free to treat, clean, rinse, scrub, replace... whatever, as you saw fit on the larger tank.

Cyano isn't often a reason for a full tank breakdown. Neither are nitrates. I'm sure you have options. Still, a 6yo system and another that you don't know the history of that also is having issues. Maybe get your sleeves wet?

It would be nice to have an extra tank around for qt, or hospital, or bully-jail as you try to get the other back to peek form.

OP
OP
M

MrsSchlatter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put the clown into my biocube. It's the only thing left alive in the 90gal. I can maintenance the biocube. I just wanted to completely start the 90 gal over. It's got sand I dont like in it and it also have bryopsis I had to treat for around the time I treated for cyano. I just wanted to know what to do with the rock. I'm pretty set on breaking the 90gal down, ditching old sand, and cleaning out the filters and getting new media. I didnt know if I should dip my rock in a hydrogen peroxide solution before putting it back in with all new stuff or what you all would suggest.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, what to do with the rock is the real trick... especially with you mentioning bryopsis!
You hate to see well-aged rock sterilized. Ofc, u hate to see a reset tank break out in bryopsis cuz you missed a piece :(

Afraid I don't really have a good answer for you.. Free Bump

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are set on resetting the 90, have you thought about just holding the rock in a brute container with new saltwater, a power head and heater (no lights) while you sterilize everything else? Then when the 90 is running again, put the rock back in. Depending on how long you leave the rock in the brute, you might need to feed it.

OP
OP
M

MrsSchlatter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. Im just nervous the rock will end up with a little cyano still on it or bryopsis. Honestly I think I'd rather dip it. But I've never done that. And I guess I need directions on how to do that.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is no real big deal the bryopsis is the elephant in the room. Fluconazole is a treatment for bryopsis. I would treat the lr that will be cheaper than new lr. Also the current lr is well established. Just my 2¢

OP
OP
M

MrsSchlatter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated for bryopsis with fluconazole in both my tanks, as well as cyano. But I don't think it got all the cyano. I did read somewhere someone dipped there LR in a hydrogen peroxide and water mix and put it back in the tank. Maybe I should do that. Or just take all the sand out, and treat the tank for cyano once more and then treat with fluconazole again. Then after 2 weeks drain the tank and start with 100% new water and sand without bleaching the rock.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back