Newbie: Please help

SteamTrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. PLEASE HELP

Just restarted a 20 gallon Innovative Marine Aquarium cleaned with water and white vinegar and rinsed throughly.

After watching numerous videos on youtube regarding starting/ cyclying, I got started with this method.
Dr. Tims and liquid ammonia. Water temp was 89 degrees because the bacteria cultivated better at higher temps according to youtube.

I added the complete bottle of DR Tims and it was recommended 4 drops per gallon, I only used 2 drios per gallon. Tank with non live but color pigmented rock took only 15 gallons of water no sand on bottom.

I waited 2 days to take my first reading of ammonia and a got a 2.0 reading. I waited another 4 days and the reading was the same. Waited another 3 days and the reading is still 2.0. No nitrates or nitirtes.

The other videos I watch regarding this method, the ammonia continued to go down after each reading.

Whats wrong? What shall I do. I thought of adding more live batera by another manufacturer but it said no ammonia can be present.

Thank you
Bart Zuccala
Other hobbies: train collector, audio and video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. PLEASE HELP

Just restarted a 20 gallon Innovative Marine Aquarium cleaned with water and white vinegar and rinsed throughly.

After watching numerous videos on youtube regarding starting/ cyclying, I got started with this method.
Dr. Tims and liquid ammonia. Water temp was 89 degrees because the bacteria cultivated better at higher temps according to youtube.

I added the complete bottle of DR Tims and it was recommended 4 drops per gallon, I only used 2 drios per gallon. Tank with non live but color pigmented rock took only 15 gallons of water no sand on bottom.

I waited 2 days to take my first reading of ammonia and a got a 2.0 reading. I waited another 4 days and the reading was the same. Waited another 3 days and the reading is still 2.0. No nitrates or nitirtes.

The other videos I watch regarding this method, the ammonia continued to go down after each reading.

Whats wrong? What shall I do. I thought of adding more live batera by another manufacturer but it said no ammonia can be present.

Thank you
Bart Zuccala
Other hobbies: train collector, audio and video
Ammonia will rise then fall
When it is steady at zero for 5 days and nitrate is 20 or below for 5 days/ you are cycled
Can take 10-22 days to accomplish

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1704727690863.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it takes a while for those bacterial populations to expand. You can definitely add more bacteria without worrying. It took my first tank 2.5 months to cycle. Every tank is different. Do you have flow in the tank? This also helps with cycling because it allows better contact between the bacteria and the ammonia in the water. The bacteria is supposed to settle on the rock and tank walls, filtration system etc so most of it is not in the water column and that contact is really important.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people are glossing over the actual question a bit. Yes, patience is good, yes a traditional cycle can take up to 4-5 weeks, but Dr Tim's is supposed to be an 11 day process, iirc. I would expect by day 6 for ammonia to started decreasing.

For clarity, you used Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying bacteria and Ammonium? What test kit are you measuring ammonia with? Verify you added the correct amount if ammonia as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back