Nitrate crash established tank?

rhedrick17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I noticed some unusual pale colors in my tank and it started with some of my milliapora. I thought it might be because I changed my lights to g6 radions last month and they were just acclimating to the new lighting so i did not give it much thought as all my parameters were in check (or so I thought).

My tank is a 265g display with an additional 45 gallons of sump vol. It has been running for 19 months, however when i set it up I was very unhappy with my scape and totally re scaped it around the 4th month so I treat it as a 15 month old tank which is still in my opinion established as my parameters have been very stable for 8ish months now. I dont have algae/ uglies issues, my heavily acro dominant tank has been growing well with good coloration until just recently.

I dose kalkwasser using a reactor, 7200 ml a day, and 100-120 ml of brs liquid soda ash. My parameters stay around 7.6-7.9 alk, 450 cal, 1400 mag. My nutrient's are usually around .03-.05 po4 and 1.5-3 no3. I have 7 tangs, 2 angels, 4 anthias, 6 chromis, and 2 wrasse. I feed a sheet of nori in the morning, my auto feeder feeds reef nutrition pellets at noon, and then every night i feed 5-6 cubes of mysis or brine shrimp that i rinse before feeding.

I test my alk, cal, and mag with a trident, and i have to admit mine has had zero issues after a year of use. And for the past 6 months I have been testing po4 and no3 with a mastertronic which has been great until the last update and now I've been experiencing a ton of issues but the tests have been pretty stable (or so i thought). In the beginning I was double checking my mastertronic results with my
Hanna checkers and even the tritiation tests that i was using in the mastertronic itself. They were fairly close so I stopped double testing.

Today I decided to pull out the hanna checkers and my po4 was right inline with the MT but my no3 was zero while the MT was reading 1.5 still.

Nothing has changed in my tank has changed so I'm really confused on how the nitrates dropped out but the phosphates are still normal?

If anyone can shed some light on what might be going on i would really appreciate it.

OP
OP
R

rhedrick17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry i forgot to mention i also manually tested using the api test that the mastertronic uses and it was reading zero also

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back