Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia Issues

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neat way to apply what I feel are updated cycling rules is create and test the inverse above:

take dry rocks and put dry sand in a paint bucket w saltwater matching temp and salinity above
add a fish or two like above
feed it once, check back in 24 hours its a gray smelly stinking mess.

:)
that's an uncycled tank outcome.

where old cycling rules get it wrong, constantly, is they omit obvious ability to carry bioload and waste in favor of unverified non digital test kits.

There are no stuck cycles, that's a false claim aimed and selling bottle bac and it works to do just that.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz was not needed, but not harmful. we track in the false reading thread how old cycling rules coincidentally lead us into circular retail purchases.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neat way to apply what I feel are updated cycling rules is create and test the inverse above:

take dry rocks and put dry sand in a paint bucket w saltwater matching temp and salinity above

feed it once, check back in 24 hours its a gray smelly stinking mess.

:)

where old cycling rules get it wrong, constantly, is they omit obvious ability to carry bioload and waste in favor of unverified non digital test kits.
I don't argue with your methods one bit. However in this particular case no ammonia or bacteria was added to the tank prior to fish being introduced.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish disease is the reason he's acting up, not ammonia. no fallow or qt

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how bac get in. without being added, given only time (the unassisted cycle, he's past this time above)

*that is an important thread for reef microbiology

Read MStevens posts. page 97 fwd not the prior ones

Cycles dont require anything other than water and 60 days at worst. this tank from the OP above is fed.

We have been royally ripped off in reefing by not being told about that mechanism above.

If they told us, and we believed it, we'd buy less of their reinforcement bacteria.

Steven Fed nothing

dosed nothing

he input water and time from a cycling chart, and what that cycling chart said did occur and we calibrated his ammonia to work correctly before accepting it as fact. I consider MStevens easy task shown above to be perhaps the most important post on reefing microbiology we can source, it means stuff is free

we get nothing free from old cycling rules, we get fear and re purchase impulses yep. This tank is fully cycled a while ago, welcome to non digital false read api/google is littered with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kaoriblackheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! Let us know how it goes. ^_^

Also, are your live stock looking better after the ammo-lock and pristine + water change?
Unfortunately one of the clownfish did not make it. The other one is sticking it out. It's got very labored breathing and is sticking it close to staying in one spot, but it's still swimming a bit here and there. I think the anemone is done for, but I can't tell.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in order to prevent fish loss in the future, see the disease forum: fallow and quarantine. you can see after reading there any link, that setting up your dry rock system on retail feed is certain to kill the fish in a few mos after setup. (not cycle related, this cycle is done.)

One reason you would not want to add more bac is they have no attachment points to take on

they're swirling around, competing for oxygen, and soon to be floc'd or skimmed or water changed out, they literally cannot help anything. Were your ammonia to be correct, say you ran a digital seneye test vs the wrong one above, you'd do a water change and remove the dead animals to lower it vs adding bacteria.

by rule we can clearly see in MSteven's example link, after 60 days all surfaces are full up

just because a reefer adds bacteria out of response doesnt mean its got anywhere to go and set up shop, its now extra bioload the tank must carry and process. the water is becoming less pure, due to reaction effects.

what you do here above is change water

re fallow the tank

only add qt fish, now you're in line with this forum:

you are currently polar opposite out of line from that forum.

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately one of the clownfish did not make it. The other one is sticking it out. It's got very labored breathing and is sticking it close to staying in one spot, but it's still swimming a bit here and there. I think the anemone is done for, but I can't tell.
Sorry to hear. :( What is the size of the tank? Any chance of a 100% water change? At this point it may be necessary to just get rid of as much ammonia as possible through that method, even if that means potential swing in parameters. But yeah, does not sound good. :(

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish disease is the reason he's acting up, not ammonia. no fallow or qt
Okay, let me try to get through to you. It never worked, I don't know why I bother, but well, I do hope that you could try to actually listen for once and mull over it.

Mate, you gotta assess the situation rather than just regurgitating information that does not necessarily apply to the situation. So, please try to listen to this: if it is fish disease, the anemone would not look bad at the same time as the fish like that, and deteriorate in tandem with fish. If something affects multiple live stock that are very different from each other, then it is far more likely to be predominantly due to parameters than due to disease that is often specific to particular types of organisms.

On a note re: bacteria, you keep on ignoring that nitrifiers adapted to freshwater systems tend to not do well in saline systems. Here's one paper on that: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0144860920300340, easily found through a Google Scholar search.

OP
OP
K

kaoriblackheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the anemone is stunningly gorgeous! The other clownfish is still not doing great, he's still laying on his side breathing heavy. The Nitrite levels seem to have gone up, Nitrate has gone down a bit (it's less red) and Ammonia has gone down to about 8.0ppm. I'm not sure why everything is still high after the water change, ammo lock, pristine, and fritz. :( PXL_20210602_161654366.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210602_161654366.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210602_161654366.MP.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 17

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the anemone is stunningly gorgeous! The other clownfish is still not doing great, he's still laying on his side breathing heavy. The Nitrite levels seem to have gone up, Nitrate has gone down a bit (it's less red) and Ammonia has gone down to about 8.0ppm. I'm not sure why everything is still high after the water change, ammo lock, pristine, and fritz. :( PXL_20210602_161654366.MP.jpg
Could have just been super high to begin with, and so despite a big water change, you still read it as max (after all, once parameters are off the charts, 20ppm and 10ppm ammonia for example would still read as '8ppm'). What size aquarium was this again?

OP
OP
K

kaoriblackheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the anemone is stunningly gorgeous! The other clownfish is still not doing great, he's still laying on his side breathing heavy. The Nitrite levels seem to have gone up, Nitrate has gone down a bit (it's less red) and Ammonia has gone down to about 8.0ppm. I'm not sure why everything is still high after the water change, ammo lock, pristine, and fritz. PXL_20210602_161654366.MP.jpg
Could have just been super high to begin with, and so despite a big water change, you still read it as max (after all, once parameters are off the charts, 20ppm and 10ppm ammonia for example would still read as '8ppm'). What size aquarium was this again?
10 gallon

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the anemone is stunningly gorgeous! The other clownfish is still not doing great, he's still laying on his side breathing heavy. The Nitrite levels seem to have gone up, Nitrate has gone down a bit (it's less red) and Ammonia has gone down to about 8.0ppm. I'm not sure why everything is still high after the water change, ammo lock, pristine, and fritz. PXL_20210602_161654366.MP.jpg

10 gallon
What light are you using? Seems awfully white for a reef light.

OP
OP
K

kaoriblackheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm... can you do a 100% water change then? That amount of water should not be too large for a 100% water change. Only way I'd see the clownfish might survive at this point.
I can try, I just don't want to kill the anemone either since it's doing so well.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just the led lighting that came with the tank when I purchased it.
Sadly that will not be enough. Anemone are photosynthetic like plants are. I would look into at least getting some black box lighting or an AI prime if you intend to keep coral/anemone.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back