Nitrate & Phosphate Levels

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, you're going to get a thousand opinions,lol. In my opinion.....PO4 between .02 and .1 and nitrates between 2 and 10ppm. It really depends on nutrient throughput more than numbers. In other words if you can feed a ton every day so all animals are extremely well fed and remove all leftovers resulting in zero's on both then that's fine. But if your starving everything so you can have zero's or .02 PO4 and .05 Nitrates then that's bad. For most of us we try and reach a compromise with some residual amounts in the tank at all times.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, you're going to get a thousand opinions,lol. In my opinion.....PO4 between .02 and .1 and nitrates between 2 and 10ppm. It really depends on nutrient throughput more than numbers. In other words if you can feed a ton every day so all animals are extremely well fed and remove all leftovers resulting in zero's on both then that's fine. But if your starving everything so you can have zero's or .02 PO4 and .05 Nitrates then that's bad. For most of us we try and reach a compromise with some residual amounts in the tank at all times.
Totally agree. The range is the range, but how you get there and stay there is the key!

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say less than 0.10 on po4 and less than 5 nitrate. I use vinegar as a carbon source to keep these numbers in range. You'll want to lower feeding if the numbers get out of range, by that I mean if you feed 2 cubes a day do one cube a day, if you see them starting to pale you'll want to add some reef roids once a week or spot feed if you have a little system.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say less than 0.03 phosphate and around 5 nitrate, that’s what I target anyway

I think keeping phosphate locked down very low is more important than nitrate though

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have VERY LOW on both levels. But I also have a lil hair algae, which I'll take any day than cyano or dinos.

I'm learning to trust my tank. It's good to look at numbers. But I also think it's important to look at the health of your ecosystem.

If it ain't broke, don't fix?

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you’re not around 0 nitrate. Acros will suffer with little to no nitrate, and it will lead to issues like cyano.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my nitrates. They're around 30 right now. Phosphates are at 0.1. My tank is 3+ years old though and doesn't care at all. Everything is growing well and color is fine. I could probably lower those numbers, but I'm not freaking out about it. IMO unless you're trying to sell these and get the craziest colors for photos, feed the fish and corals what they want. When things get a little high (like where mine are), do a water change. I'm doing a 50% water change tomorrow after 2 months of no water changes. My corals will look the same either way.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio that is commonly found in ocean water would be at a 10:1 ratio. Meaning 10 parts nitrates and 1 part phosphates, so if looking to have a low nutrient amount of No3 and PO4. Would be 1ppm nitrate and 0.01ppm phosphate.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio that is commonly found in ocean water would be at a 10:1 ratio. Meaning 10 parts nitrates and 1 part phosphates, so if looking to have a low nutrient amount of No3 and PO4. Would be 1ppm nitrate and 0.01 phosphate.
That's 100:1.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bacterial export method. My system sits on the Tropic Marin N / P Bacto Balance. Sometimes I make adjustments
Have you tried sending in your water to be tested? It's famously difficult for one to be able to read nitrates at an accurate level with hobby level kits. I'd be interested in knowing what your actual levels are at. I haven't looked much into ICP testing for nitrates, but maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley will have more to say on that.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried sending in your water to be tested? It's famously difficult for one to be able to read nitrates at an accurate level with hobby level kits. I'd be interested in knowing what your actual levels are at. I haven't looked much into ICP testing for nitrates, but maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley will have more to say on that.
I'm not worried about the accuracy of the nitrate test. I think this parameter does not need measurement accuracy. But I still check each test with a reference liquid. I should have written earlier that nitrate is about one.:)

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about the accuracy of the nitrate test. I think this parameter does not need measurement accuracy. But I still check each test with a reference liquid. I should have written earlier that nitrate is about one.:)
That doesn't need to be clarified. I agree in that I don't think one needs to freak out about nitrate. I'm only curious if it's below 1. Are you worried about dinos at all?

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't need to be clarified. I agree in that I don't think need one needs to freak out about nitrate. I'm only curious if it's below 1. Are you worried about dinos at all?
I figured out the question. Yes, I worry when I see zero, so sometimes I add sodium nitrate

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 59 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back