Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning test nitrate
Redsea 50+
Nyos 12 - 25

Now I,m not chasing numbers, I would just like to know were I am. Tank 6mth old.

My question is, which test would you believe ?

20210206_133424.jpg

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good reliable test kits, its hard to really believe any these days.. my LFS tested my alk at 6.7 thought it was odd so went home used my Hanna tester and it read 7.4..... now what do I believe or what reading should I act on.. I find if you use 1 test kit for Nitrates and not to use multiple as it then complicates things. I know ita more of a guide than anything. But still how hard is it to get test kits doing what they are meant to do.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very important to test Red Sea Nitrate in natural light and have pure white background.

Many indoor lights are “Warm White”. These lights have red pigments which throw-off the red when reading results.

Also put a white sheet off paper under test card and test vial. Colors from countertops and wood tables can also reflect in the testing vials and throw-off results.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good reliable test kits, its hard to really believe any these days.. my LFS tested my alk at 6.7 thought it was odd so went home used my Hanna tester and it read 7.4..... now what do I believe or what reading should I act on.. I find if you use 1 test kit for Nitrates and not to use multiple as it then complicates things. I know ita more of a guide than anything. But still how hard is it to get test kits doing what they are meant to do.
Exactly, the problem is the difference in test kit readings is substantial enough for some to go and buy loads of chemicals to rectify a problem that does or doesn't exist.

Redsea quote accuracy 2ppm
Nyos don't quote any numbers, just "high precision "

My Nitrate has always read high with Redsea. I'm going with Nyos.

I,m in the process of a 100ltr water change, out of interest I'm going to test nitrate on fresh mix.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a try I bet you will get a completely different reading. I've got salifert so can only read 0, 2,5,10 50 100.. and my LFS tells me mine is at 2... my salifert says 5-10 hrrmmm either way it's safe.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very important to test Red Sea Nitrate in natural light and have pure white background.

Many indoor lights are “Warm White”. These lights have red pigments which throw-off the red when reading results.

Also put a white sheet off paper under test card and test vial. Colors from countertops and wood tables can also reflect in the testing vials and throw-off results.
Your right Peter, I compare results in natural light, and not were I took the photo

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nyos kit get contaminated with a little water in the powder somehow (at least im pretty sure). this led to consistent massive under measurement.

i forget what caused me to catch it, but it was saying 5ish and on a new salifert kit i was >40...enter panic.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust Nyos anymore as recently received a defective brand new Nyos kit. I had been dosing No3 to battle dinos. Nyos was testing at 3ppm so I kept dosing. When my corals began to decline I suspected something up with the test. Ordered a salifert and api both are blood red off the charts. I have now lost my sps frags and am struggling to get no3 back down after multiple water changes. Nyos really let me down.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nyos kit get contaminated with a little water in the powder somehow (at least im pretty sure). this led to consistent massive under measurement.

i forget what caused me to catch it, but it was saying 5ish and on a new salifert kit i was >40...enter panic.
Now, there's a possibility! My powder does look slightly damp.
12 - 25 I would be happy with, but 50+ is worrying.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust Nyos anymore as recently received a defective brand new Nyos kit. I had been dosing No3 to battle dinos. Nyos was testing at 3ppm so I kept dosing. When my corals began to decline I suspected something up with the test. Ordered a salifert and api both are blood red off the charts. I have now lost my sps frags and am struggling to get no3 back down after multiple water changes. Nyos really let me down.
This is what I'm afraid of. The only problem I'm having at the moment is with my plate monti, everything else looks fine. I don,t want to make adjustments based on inaccurate results.
This hobby is expensive enough, but I feel I need to go and buy yet another brand test kit.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Nyos and like it.
I use salifert as a cross reference.
They are always close at 5-10.
You could get another test kit of both and compair before doing any type of adjustment.

Do you keep a log?
What were the results of the last test you did and how long ago was it?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I didn't loose coral, I had the same issue with dosing nitrates and NYOS kit.

I have for a long while used the Red Sea Pro kit now, and find it to be quite accurate. I want to dose 1ppm nitrate, I dose, test a while later, and I get an expected result.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I didn't loose coral, I had the same issue with dosing nitrates and NYOS kit.

I have for a long while used the Red Sea Pro kit now, and find it to be quite accurate. I want to dose 1ppm nitrate, I dose, test a while later, and I get an expected result.
Good to hear as I will be ordering the red sea pro when my salifert runs out. I have the redsea pro for po4 and it's a great kit. The colorwheel is a big help.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Nyos and like it.
I use salifert as a cross reference.
They are always close at 5-10.
You could get another test kit of both and compair before doing any type of adjustment.

Do you keep a log?
What were the results of the last test you did and how long ago was it?
Yes I do keep a log of all my params, going back 6mths usually every wk
No3 has steadily dropped over that time from 50+ to 5ppm at which point I started feeding the tank heavily.
During this period I bought the Nyos kit to compare, and they did, so I started using Nyos as my goto test ( it was a 5min test ).

I am also running Rowaphos in a reactor to reduce phosphates over 3 mths 1.2 down to 0.04 and holding (Red sea pro)

My theory
PeterC99 above post mentioned his Nyos powder got damp and gave false readings. I took a look at my powder and found it was also damp, anyway yesterday I got the Salifert kit, tested this morning and I'm somewhere between 25 - 50 which stacks with redsea.

Damp Nyos powder = low No3 readings, lesson learned, keep powder dry.

Attachments

• 20210207_142457.jpg
    20210207_142457.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 32

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both kits and they show very similar results. I think the Nyos is easier to read due to the Red Sea chart being more pink and the sample being more purple. These tests are never super accurate when comparing samples that fall between colors. If I had two tests showing a difference of 30 or 40 ppm I would definitely review my procedures and redo the tests carefully.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning test nitrate
Redsea 50+
Nyos 12 - 25

Now I,m not chasing numbers, I would just like to know were I am. Tank 6mth old.

My question is, which test would you believe ?

20210206_133424.jpg
You really cannot use these color comparison charts at the upper end of the range. Distinguishing between theses deep shades is nearly impossible. Dilute the water to be tested with newly prepare saltwater. Get the concentration below 10 ppm.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back