Nitrates and phosphates levels after one year of neglect

jkoehler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m sure this has been asked a million times but I have been having trouble getting the answer reading through countless threads. So as I said in the title my tank was neglected for about a year, I never tested the water I just went and started doing 20% WC every day for a week and a half now I’m doing 5% 2 times a week. Picked up a new phosphate test and its undetectable nitrates are undetectable as well. I have quite a bit of green hair algae still so I know I must still have phosphate and nitrates present, algae is on the rocks, back wall, and sand bed. I guess my question is, if I did remove all phosphates and nitrates how long would it take to see them disappear? I’m going on a month with no “spike” I have snails snacking away on my algae, but they’re taking forever it seems. Lol I know I just need to be patient but it’s hard to wait to see results... how can I tell if I am doing enough when my tests are telling me everything is fine but my eyes are telling me a different story?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m sure this has been asked a million times but I have been having trouble getting the answer reading through countless threads. So as I said in the title my tank was neglected for about a year, I never tested the water I just went and started doing 20% WC every day for a week and a half now I’m doing 5% 2 times a week. Picked up a new phosphate test and its undetectable nitrates are undetectable as well. I have quite a bit of green hair algae still so I know I must still have phosphate and nitrates present, algae is on the rocks, back wall, and sand bed. I guess my question is, if I did remove all phosphates and nitrates how long would it take to see them disappear? I’m going on a month with no “spike” I have snails snacking away on my algae, but they’re taking forever it seems. Lol I know I just need to be patient but it’s hard to wait to see results... how can I tell if I am doing enough when my tests are telling me everything is fine but my eyes are telling me a different story?
The algae might be sucking up the po4 before you test.
There is po4 leaching from the rocks, since they 'absorb' it.

OP
OP
J

jkoehler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand how this stuff enters the tank I need to take uneaten food out of the tank, as well as detritus as soon as possible, that would starve out the algae right?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand how this stuff enters the tank I need to take uneaten food out of the tank, as well as detritus as soon as possible, that would starve out the algae right?
That's the idea, but it is hard to starve algae that has evolved to be very efficient at using nutrients. You should have a clean up crew of snails and hermit crabs.
Manually remove the algae.

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starving out the algae will just create another problem with a dino outbreak or cyano.
Manual removal and a good clean up crew. My starry blenny single handedly wiped out my entire algae outbreak in the ugliest phase with the help of a couple snails.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back