Nitrates/Phosphates too high

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm anti.... Only issue is if ur dosing nopox have u really fixed your problem? No you haven't. You're really just covering up ur problem. So that can be over feeding, not enough water being changed, things like that. He needs to change his ways and find what's causing all this build up.
I get that, but at the same time we run regular carbon & some reefers use GFO to reduce phosphates. Wouldn’t part of the idea from NoPox be feeding corals and reducing Nitrate levels and finding a happy medium?

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your concern with dosing chemicals but I would say it is more natural than some other chemicals on the market such as vibrant. NoPOX is a carbon source that feeds bacteria that consumes nitrates, then you skim out said bacteria. Give this article a read, it explains it much better than I can. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

Also there is a concern for bacterial blooms if you dose nopox, because of this I dose a carbon source directly into a low flow reactor. I was able to bring down nitrates from 60ppm(at peak- it mostly hovered in the 40ppm range) down to under 10ppm and now I am on a maintenance(reduced) dosing schedule to keep my nitrates where I want.
See in this
I get that, but at the same time we run regular carbon & some reefers use GFO to reduce phosphates. Wouldn’t part of the idea from NoPox be feeding corals and reducing Nitrate levels and finding a happy medium?
What I'm saying is bring them down till u can't anymore then if u want to use nopox that's fine....i couldn't bring my phosphates lower than .17 so i had to use GFO...if i can't get my nitrates to go down to where i want them after adding more bio media and new bacteria then I'll dose it a bit....but so far so good

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm anti.... Only issue is if ur dosing nopox have u really fixed your problem? No you haven't. You're really just covering up ur problem. So that can be over feeding, not enough water being changed, things like that. He needs to change his ways and find what's causing all this build up.
Nope, I disagree.

NoPox is simply dosing vinegar and ethanol, both of which are natural sources of organic carbon.

Some tanks need heavy feeding to keep the coral happy (particularly Acropora). You then have to adjust your export methods to remove any excess nutrients so they do not cause other problems.

It doesn't matter how you manage to balance imports and exports, whether a refugium, carbon dosing, or binding/adsorbtion, as long as the result is what you want.

OP
OP
Sparkee

Sparkee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly where Im coming from. I don't want to cover up problem. I want to find out why phosphate levels have been high and that nothing seems to work to bring levels down. Already stated in opening of thread things that I have tried and presently doing,

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae issues, corals are happy, fish are happy.

Let it be.

Reefing is a visual hobby. If it looks good, leave it alone.

Begin making changes for the sake of seeing better numbers and you will create problems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back