No Sand = No Cyano

echopiece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is only 8 months old. if you started dry rock, it gonna take some time. and yea the nopox fed only the cyano. and the highlight too. good new is the cyano will eat the no and po too.
I ditched the dry rock after the first month. Been running TBS live rock for 8 months.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ditched the dry rock after the first month. Been running TBS live rock for 8 months.
see if the no no pox recedes it. It should. all the Farley articles say ethanol can make the cyano really bad. its why most stop using it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a fair option, counterbattling at the moneran level. mb7 has been reported for years to offset invasions of cyano, bac v bac. theres enough reports of it working such that I don't think its a fluke, its just one of the tools we can use to win. the free option is rip cleaning, but its big work. the mb7/competing bac/nutrient sequestering all can work too but they typically require things to be bought and repeat dosed as needed.

even the rip cleaned tank can have it all over again if nutrient stores settle up in other areas unexported, or if lighting changes etc

cyano and associates are so common in our world some form of repeat will likely be required among most reef tanks, but for the clean running crew with good rock curing this lasts the longest...to either rip out the major sink for waste (sandbed) or blast clean it meanly which is what small reef aquariums can do easily without much work. find the detritus, attack the detritus is really a nice baseline mode for control of these invaders, where practical.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you with Cyano problems, especially the ones that use NOPOX:

Have you tried regularly dosing of bacteria? I have read anecdotal accounts that it helps control the Cyano.
i have first hand accounts of that in my house:D.....+1

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back