Non-Native Stony Corals Removed from Hawaiian Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii is renowned for its high concentration of endemism both in the sea and on land, and the biggest threat to native hawaiian species is almost always introduced species of plants and animals. Therefore you can imagine the alarm bells that went off when a patch of non-native corals was discovered thriving in one area […]
Source

Continue reading...

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii is renowned for its high concentration of endemism both in the sea and on land, and the biggest threat to native hawaiian species is almost always introduced species of plants and animals. Therefore you can imagine the alarm bells that went off when a patch of non-native corals was discovered thriving in one area […]
Source

Continue reading...

While I get that introduced invasive species can severely disrupt and damage local ecosystems, I'm not quite sure I understand why these particular species are considered "dangerous" according to the post. Are you speaking just from an ecological perspective, in that they can out-compete and crowd out endemic species?

If that's the case, one thing I wonder, is since obviously that patch of reef was quite healthy, with all the talk of reef degradation all around the globe, would it truly be such a net negative if other species from other parts of the Pacific can gain a foothold and thrive in such protected and well-managed area?

Especially in light of such species getting bleached and dying en masse in their native ranges?

Again, not to make light of the importance of preserving Hawaiian endemic species.

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, I live in Florida, and it's well known that endemic species of coral to the reefs in and around Southern Florida and the Florida Keys, are on the brink. Also, it seems that re-population efforts have had mixed results, I'll look and see if I can find the article I'm referencing.

If hardier corals from other regions were introduced that were not as susceptible to the pressures as local corals have faced, and managed to survive and grow, wouldn't that be a good thing even if those species were invasive?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source

Continue reading...
I'm happy to see them preserving the reefing system around the islands! I'm also seeing an opportunity to make hobbists very very happy with some new pacific corals:) I kid... sort of :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back