Noob questions about starting new aquarium (with pictures)

timmylucas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a seaclear II aquarium from someone on craigslist. Traded them a couple discus fish for it. I want to get it up and running soon and move my contents from my other reef tank to this one

It has a built in sump in the back of it as well as it came with ceramic rings and the pump and all for the back of the sump. I figured when it comes to bio media ceramic rings would be fine. it also comes with bio balls but I'm not sure I want to use them.

Tank including internal sump is
24 inches long
16 Inches high
16 inches wide

Stock that will be moved over:

• Various hermit crabs
  • Candy Cane corals
  • Various zoanthids
  • xenia corals
  • SPS
  • acan coral
  • 2 clown fish
  • Many other corals and mushrooms
Lighting is: Ocean revive: Arctic-S026 LEDs
Arctic-S026 LED Aquarium Light_Aquarium LED_OCEANREVIVE LED

Questions:
  1. What type of bio filtration should I use? Should I just use ceramic rings and no filter floss or bio balls or what should I use?
  2. How many Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation power heads should I use? I have one but I figured maybe I should buy another. But I'm not sure If I will need another.verWhat should I put in the chambers of the sump? I was thinking in the first chamber to put my heater, then I was just going to leave bacteria rack inserts in, then under the drip filter I planned to leave ceramic rings instead of bioballs, then in the last chamber I plan to put a nano protein skimmer.Like this one Amazon.com: Hydor Slim Skim Nano Internal Skimmer for Mini Aquariums and Reefs 23-35 gal: Pet Supplies
  3. Should I use some type of bottled bacteria to cycle the tank? On my first nano reef I used cycled bagged sand but I was always unsure about that type of sand. Never thought It actually worked but I'm not sure If I should use it again as well as using the bottled bacteria. If you have suggestions for bottled bacteria let me know
Photos of most that will be moved over. There is more I didnt get photos of but I will when I get some time

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To many qs to take in at one time? even if you got them all would you remember them? 1 thing at a time will help

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying live wet sand from youLFS is the best way to go but pricey! Best bb is i think bio spira, tried a lot of different types but with the bio spira I've saw no ammonia spike, hope this helps

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back