Noob wants to light his 210 gal

colbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing, and excited to learn! I acquired a 210 gal tank and I'm a little stumped on how I should light it. I plan on doing a mixed reef. Mostly beginner corals. The tank dimensions (if this makes a difference) are 72L x 24W x 28H. I was looking at AI Primes, but its sounding like they're more for nanos and medium tanks? But it sounds like they'd be powerful enough to do the job. I want to go with led for low heat, low energy, and full control. What would be a good led light to go with for this tank?
05d024ab4ef62f553dfa18e9d11ff2c1.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primes would work, but you'd need several. Radions, either the 15's or better yet the 30's would work as well.
Check if you can find some AI Hydra 52's used. Also a good bet..

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Primes as well as Radions. Used in different applications. The Primes while a decent light for sure, just aren't as powerful as either Radions or Hydras.
IMO lighting isn't something you should skimp on knowing how much money you will probably have invested in corals down the line. I know the price is a tough pill to swallow, but.. the best equipment we can afford will pay dividends down the line. Even if that means buying used. Just my 2¢.
If I were to do Primes (1000 ways to skin a reef) I would do 4 at a minimum.

OP
OP
colbeard

colbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with doing 4 is the tank has two braces, so I dont know how I would place.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the braces are kept relatively clean, they shouldn't be much of an issue.
I have 2 center braces on my tank as well. The difference with/without is minimal. I would space the lights equally either way.
Let me see if I can find a pic of my setup to show you what I am referring to

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250 with almost the same dimensions (84×24×28) and I'm running the hydra 26s. I have shallow eurobracing all the way around which made it impossible to use the mounts. I ended up just buying the bracket for the mount and using that to mount it to a shelf hanger. I then just used drywall anchors to mount the shelf hanger to the wall as a makeshift mount[emoji23] ended up working really well!

OP
OP
colbeard

colbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These middles braces are black plastic, this that gonna be an issue? Maybe just shadowing issue? Also will glass lids be an issue?
69f31b42e6cbf2d45b465a3cf9fcbe87.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic brace impact will definitely be minimal at best. The glass lids... Personally, I would lose them and go with a screen top. The glass lids will hold heat and increase temp, possibly necessitating a chiller... Another BIG expense...

OP
OP
colbeard

colbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it light spread the reason I would need like 4-6 ai primes. Would they give enough par to the bottom on the tank?

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really need such fancy lighting? Are you against black boxes say viparspec 165w (what I'm using) or reefbreeders (high end black boxes)? Id keep it simple if it was mine. I have the same tank except I went 180

I've seen numerous tanks running glass tops without issue. I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't work pull them.

I'm going for something like this (not my tank).

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pretty much the same tank as you. I went with SBreef lights. I have 2 18” ones on the sides and a 32” one in the center. Worked out great. I did add a T5 in the front and back as well though that wasn’t really needed. Just personal preference. These lights are only slightly more than normal black boxes and will grow corals just as good as the fancy lights. I actually like them better than the puck style lights because I feel like there is less shadowing and less disco ball effect.

OP
OP
colbeard

colbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250 with almost the same dimensions (84×24×28) and I'm running the hydra 26s. I have shallow eurobracing all the way around which made it impossible to use the mounts. I ended up just buying the bracket for the mount and using that to mount it to a shelf hanger. I then just used drywall anchors to mount the shelf hanger to the wall as a makeshift mount[emoji23] ended up working really well!
How many 26hd do you have?

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pretty much the same tank as you. I went with SBreef lights. I have 2 18” ones on the sides and a 32” one in the center. Worked out great. I did add a T5 in the front and back as well though that wasn’t really needed. Just personal preference. These lights are only slightly more than normal black boxes and will grow corals just as good as the fancy lights. I actually like them better than the puck style lights because I feel like there is less shadowing and less disco ball effect.

Can I see a pic? SBreef is what meant earlier

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it light spread the reason I would need like 4-6 ai primes. Would they give enough par to the bottom on the tank?

I have three on my 180 (6x2x2)
I tested the par yesterday and it’s very low.

100% blue or 100% white
Bottom middle surface low
Less than 70 par

I was using apogee mq-510 hi spectrum

Save your money get the hydras or even better the radions

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back