Normal clown behavior or aggression?

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've noticed that recently one of my two clowns has become dominant towards the other.
Is this within normal behaviour or should I be worried that it will lead to problems?

One of them has resigned to a corner of the tank and hiding for most of the day and eating less, while the aggressive one is swimming all over the place.
YouTube short/video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I've noticed that recently one of my two clowns has become dominant towards the other.
Is this within normal behaviour or should I be worried that it will lead to problems?

One of them has resigned to a corner of the tank and hiding for most of the day and eating less, while the aggressive one is swimming all over the place.
YouTube short/video
Clear sign of male succumbing to aggression from female. This is referred to as clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. The female becomes greedy and tries to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They aggressively protect their area whether an anemone, nesting site, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear sign of male succumbing to aggression from female. This is referred to as clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. The female becomes greedy and tries to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They aggressively protect their area whether an anemone, nesting site, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open.
Thanks. I already read up on the (fascinating) subject.
I just didn't know what kind of aggression/dominance levels were normal.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As others have said, this appears to be normal behavior. I typically look for body damage (more than a fin nip), or a very thin fish if it is not being allowed to eat at all from extreme bullying.

Max Ohm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's funny, in my Darwin/Snowflake tank, it's always the Male that goes after me.

I know that in our breeding system it's always the snowflakes/frostbites that are determined to get a piece of my hand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's funny, in my Darwin/Snowflake tank, it's always the Male that goes after me.

I know that in our breeding system it's always the snowflakes/frostbites that are determined to get a piece of my hand.
Snowflakes are just biters in nature and mine can express an attitude

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of spotcinctus (red sea) clownfish. They will occasionally beat each other up pretty good, I'm talking torn fins, but after a few weeks they work things out. This is a normal part of clownfish behavior, the larger female asserting her dominance over the male. Just keep an eye on them and I'm sure in a few weeks you'll be past this. Remember that clownfish are actually part of the damselfish family and are fairly aggressive.

I found that adding an anemone, in my case a bubble tip, really helped calm their aggression. They'll still fight over who has the best spot on the anemone, but don't seem to beat each other up as bad. They have an interesting love triangle - ménage a trois.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back